Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Help!

Options
Jason
Jason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an 8.71 lb bone in pork butt that I want to cook in my lg egg for the first time. I want to eat at about 1pm on Monday. I have several questions.[p]1. What should my egg setup be (I have a plate setter and a v rack - do I need them?) What about a drip pan?[p]2. How long and at what temp should I cook it at? I have read several posts ranging from 225 to 260? [p]3. What does the internal temp of the butt need to be before it is ready to eat? Can anyone tell me where I can get one of those thermometers that the probe stays in the meat but the gauge can be placed outside the egg?[p]4. Rub - I don't think I want to use a rub. My cousin cooked some pulled pork once and all he used was apple cider vinager and pepper and it was great. Any thoughts about this.[p]Sorry so many questions - I just want this to turn out good![p]Thanks in advance.[p]Jason

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Jason,[p]
    1. Plate setter (legs up) - drip pan - grate[p]2. 225° to 260° is just fine[p]3. Around 200°. You can wiggle the bone or poke for tenderness. WalMart.[p]4. Salt and black pepper is really all you need for any barbecued meat. Is your cousin from Eastern North Carolina? They use a basic mop like this:[p]1 qt water
    1 qt vinegar
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    3 tablespoons cayenne
    1 tablespoon black pepper[p]Here is my version:[p]2 cups cider vinegar
    1 cup apple juice
    3 teaspoons sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 teaspoon wooster[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks very much for the response.[p]1. Do you put anything in the drip pan? Do you put the butt on the v rack?[p]2. How long do you think it will take for a 8.7 lb butt?[p]3. On your mop do you mix together and boil or just mix together?[p]Jason

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Jason,[p]1. I use a foil lined, empty drip pan. Mine is a deep dish pizza pan. And I just set the butt(s) on the grate.[p]2. I cook a lot of them that size and I plan on 16 hours plus some time in a pre-warmed cooler for resting. I wrap in foil before going into the cooler, and insulate with newspaper. If the butt is getting too dark on the cooker, I will wrap in foil and finish the cook wrapped, then move it to the cooler.[p]3. I warm the mop (not boiling) enough to allow the salt to dissolve and to let everything blend. The vinegar will put off a strong smell, just like making pickles. I keep it keep it warm during the cook.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery