Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork...Please heelp the in-experienced

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read many past posts regarding pulled pork, however, searching back through the forum, I have not found specifics on pork cuts, prep, temps, length of cook, process during and after cook, etc? [p]Would any of you experienced Eggers be willing to help a Newbie with the above to obtain the pulled pork results I have dreamed about for many years?[p]All responses from experience in this area would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Badger Smoke,
    I am far from the most experienced on here but I do have 13# on right now. I do them indirect with a dome temp of approx. 240-250. Cook till they are 200 degrees internal. Usually near two hours per pound for your largest butt, but cook by temp not time. They are done when they are done and no two are exactly alike. I usually coat the outside with mustard, just to help the rub stay on the meat. Put them over a drip pan with some apple juice and apple cider vinegar. After a few hours you can spritz them with a little more if you want but do not open your egg more than necessary. As they say on here, "trust your egg", it will keep your meat moist. Hope this helps a bit.
    Tom

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I am going to let the seasoned teachers tell you exactly how to do it. Just trust what they tell you and you will end up in pork bliss :) Trust me - if I can do it, you definitely can do it!!![p]IMG_0187.jpg
  • onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    Options
    Badger Smoke,
    Go to dizzypigbbq.com pork section,he has all the info you will need. Write down his web address he has tons of good info. Try it you"ll like it.
    Good luck
    Bobby_FTW-Tx

• Shilomare
    Shilomare Posts: 103
    Options
    Badger Smoke,
    Here is a link to the Pulled Pork recipe that I used for my first PP cook. From building the fire to finishing the cook and everything in between.. I found this to be an all inclusive guide....Like others have said....trust your egg...

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/pork/NCpulledPork.htm[/ul]
  • Shilomare
    Shilomare Posts: 103
    Options
    Badger Smoke,[p]Here are parts III and IV, the rest of the Pulled Pork recipe...

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/pork/pork0340.htm[/ul]
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Good morning! Visit nakedwhiz.com or WessB's sites and you'll get throrough directions of how to smoke a Boston Butt and get the pulled pork you've been dreaming of. Just takes a little bit o' homework and these sites have the information you need. Good luck![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Badger Smoke,
    elder wards writeup is as good as it gets, for the first time following it, you want a 250 dome temp for the cook, and you want to chck on things every 3 hours. do those things and you will not have a problem. shoulder, butt, picnic shoulder all make pulled pork.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Badger Smoke,
    the last couple of days I've done 2 boston butt cooks.
    each time it was 2 butts(sams club package)about 8 lbs each. get your fire stable at 225-250(the lower the better)cover with dizzy pig set up indirect don't open unit you have internal temp. of 195-200.....can't miss.....

• Unknown
    Options
    Is it impossible to do this w/o a Polder probe[p]I don't want to open and reopen the lid to check temp.[p]Where can I get one of these probes?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    utvolegger,
    the remote therms are nice, but you can do it with the old fashioned dial style if it reads temps. stick it staightup in the meat and read it thru the daisy with a flashlight. yoy will want to get a remote eventually, polder, maverick etc

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it