Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elevating the fire chamber

Options
Buckgeis
Buckgeis Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Steve S, who owns a larger device than the GBE, said that to do paella properly, you need to lower the paella pan. That will not be feasible in the BGE if a large paella pan is to be used. How about elevating the fire chamber by building a platform of fire bricks that brings the charcoal closer to the grill? Is that a good plan?[p]And where the devil do you get fire bricks?

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Buckgeis,[p] Not so sure you really need to bring the pan that much closer to the fire -- in the Paella! book, Ms. Casas recommends the pan be 16" above the flames. Raising the firebox sounds risky, but should you want to try it, firebricks are usually available at your local brickyard.[p]MikeO
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Buckgeis,
    I got my "split" firebricks from a brickyard...and I don`t know if it`s appropriate to what you are describing but have read where others put their cooking grid under the fire ring ( directly on top of the firebox )which would get you a good 3 or 4" closer to the actual fire...just my $.02 hope it helps..[p]Wess

• Unknown
    Options
    Buckgeis, I bought firebrick at the brickyard too. About .90 apiece, get six. If there is no brickyard near to you, check anywhere that installs gas log fireplaces. They will either have some or tell you who does.

• Buckgeis
    Buckgeis Posts: 6
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Thanks. I will try it using the normal configuration of the BGE. Even if I don't get the soccarat, it will be good I'm sure.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Buckgeis, using MikeO's recommendation of 16", it sounds to me like your nearly perfect as you are or even closer. I haven't measured, and like NB an double boilers, I don't know what a papella is other than is sounds like a wart. :-)[p]I built a stainless steel raised firechamber for the purpose of getting the fire closer to the steaks. It worked, but had its drawbacks also. I could post pictures of it via KennyG..its pretty rusty right now. :-)[p]The problem was the width of the base for the charcoal grate was too large to allow a fast ignition for all the charcoal.
    You have to remove all charcoal from the lower firechamber to get air flow to the top artificial chamber.[p]Tell me more about this papella subject and the requirements for a cook...The BGE can cook about everything even a competitors goose. :-)
    Cheers...
    C~W