Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need clarification on time it takes to cook multiple Boston Butts...

Options
BUBBA
BUBBA Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long will it take to cook 18 lbs. of Boston Butt @ 250? I am assuming 3 butts at 6 lbs each. Do you take the total weight of all the meat and multiply or the total weight of the largest butt and multiply? I assume it is the ladder as 36 hrs seems too long...
Thanks,[p]Bubba

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Bubba,
    it will be the same as what it takes you to do one butt on your set up. maybe add an hour as it takes temps a little time to rebound from the cold meat beind added atonce. i try to get them done for noon with food being served between 1 and 5 with the cooler time. dinner time seems to float here, never eat til everyones hungry

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Suck Creek Wings
    Options
    Bubba,[p]I did two 9 pounders at 250 degrees for roughly 17 hours to reach the desired internal temp. I would think anything longer than 18 would be too much.
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    visualaid_jpg.jpg
    <p />Bubba,
    I did these 18 pounds recently and it took 12 hours to get to 'done' inside. Tequila had nothing to do with it...
    BobbyQ mentioned to me that they are seeing more and more fast cooking pork these days.[p]Not saying this will happen to you, but be prepared with a cooler just in case.[p]Good luck!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Suck Creek Wings,
    The best butts I ever cooked were 4 8-pound butts that took 20 hours at 230 degrees dome temperature.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Bubba,
    a single 6-pounder takes as long as three of them as long as they are not jammed together.[p]in theory... it would take the egg a bit longer to recover from adding 18 pounds of cold meat than 6 pounds (at the start of the cook) but there are so many other factors that can shorten or stretch out a lo-and-slo butt cook, that you can't really quantify it.[p]pretty safe to assume no change in time for multiple butts.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Suck Creek Wings,
    I had a 9 pounder that I cooked for almost 23 hrs. and my neighbors that have had pulled pork in the south, (I was in Arizona at the time) said it was the best they have had.[p]Regards,
    Bordello