Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question re:Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a LG egg and have had great experiences with it so far. Rembered seeing some issues re: pork ribs on some posts, but can't get the archives to work. I can't see any reason why I shouldn't just cook 'em at about 210 for 8 hrs or so, but wondered is anyone has any words of cuation.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Rev.,[p]It depends on whether you are cooking them direct or indirect. Typically when I cook ribs indirect I cook at about 325-350 for 4-5 hours. When I cook them direct (not my preferred method) I have cooked them at 225 in a rib rack for 4-5 hours if memory serves me correctly. I have, on accident, have cooked ribs indirect at 225 for 6 hours, and they were great tasting but tough. I would think that you could cook them long enough at 200 indirect to make them tender but I would think you would end up with a mushy rib, much like the texture of Pulled Pork. Just my 2 pennies, others here have cooked a LOT more ribs than I have and can lend their experience here.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Rev.,
    There are nearly as many methods floating around here for ribs as there are posters! They are good many ways, but IMO it is not necessary to go 8 hours. Nor is it beneficial to use temps under 250 if cooking indirect. [p]Anywhere between 3.5 and 6 hours will get you some nice ribs. The lowest dome temp that i cook ribs at is 250 with a dry drip pan. Water in the pan will lower your cooking level temps. Like Sprinter, I mostly cook ribs indirect, and often start them off at 250, and work my way up toward 300 as the cook progresses. I don't flip until the two hour mark. Resist opening the egg. Spares take 5 to 6, babybacks 4-5. I like to sauce them for the last hour while keeping them indirect. Sometimes I will sauce direct if I want some char.[p]Doesn't get much better than ribs. Best of luck on your cook!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    Rev.,[p]Try GFW's 3-1.5-1 method. IMO his method cooks the best ribs I have ever had.[p]Cheers,
    Alan

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Rev.,
    Indirect method: about 5 hours at 325F over a water-filled drip pan set on fire bricks.[p]Direct method: about 1.75 hours at 275F.[p]If you like to sauce them, do it in the last 45 minutes with either method.[p]JimW

• Unknown
    Options
    Alan,
    Thaks. What is GFW's method?

• Unknown
    Options
    JimW,
    Will one of the ceramic "grill elevators" Eggcessories serve as a basis for indirect cooking (I mean the one with the three "feet" that are attached to a "pizza stone" type of surface).

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    Rev.,[p]Here's the link... Look in the rib section.[p]Basically, he cooks the ribs indirect at about 250 for 3 hours, then wraps them in foil for an 1-1.5 hours, then finishes them direct for about an hour.[p]I'm getting hungry...
    Alan

[ul][li]GFW's Website[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Rev.,
    Yes, it will. Some in the forum use it that way. I personally prefer firebricks to elevate the second grate and to put under the drip pan. If you do use it, you might consider wrapping it in HD foil so it doesn't get all yucked up.
    JimW