Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook a turkey breast on the BGE?

Options
Birdman
Birdman Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 5 pound, bone-in fresh turkey breast I's like to cook on my Egg. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to cook it. Thanks in advance.[p]Birdman

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Birdman,[p] I'd brine it, then cook indirect at about 325-350F until internal temp was about 160F. Use pecan wood for some smoke flavor . . .[p]MikeO
  • Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Options
    MikeO,
    Thanks. How long do you cook it? I have a lot of apple, hickory, and mesquite; how well do these do for poultry?

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    turkey13.jpg
    <p />Birdman,
    Here is how I do mine. [p]Like Mike I do mine at 350 indirect over a drip pan that is on firebricks to a temp of 160. The bricks prevent the drippings from burning. The link has more pictures.[p]Tim

• smoking pup
    Options
    Birdman,
    I inject it with Chef Williams' Creole Butter and a rub down of Tony Chachere's seasonings overnight(both can be found at Walmart). Set at 250 until internal is about 160. This takes about 5-6 hours. Another tasty alternative is to mix JJ's rub with a half beer or so inject, then rub down with JJ's overnight. I used pecan which produced a great flavor. My guests had it finished in no time. Good Luck...[p]Smoking pup

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MikeO, even tho the others sound good, I would double up with ya on your recommedation..Especially for a first run..you cannot beat it. [p]Then play with injections later on. Be sure and try the drying out the bird in the fridge for a more crispy skin after the brine and through wash.. It helps to dehydrate tha outer layer. Olive or peanut oil just before entry to the heat.
    Your suggestion won't lack tenderness and moisture..
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Birdman,[p]At the temps that Mike offered I would say about 15 minutes a pound, give or take.[p]Zip

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Birdman, I will stand in for MikeO, and maybe he will improve on it later..350 for the cook, takes about 20 minutes per lb. Best guage is your thermometer. Use a polder or check when the breast temps hit 165 to 170..or thigh at no less than 180 or clear fluids. Keeping your bird high over the drip pan will allow a better all around cook. I use a stepped up second grill over a drip pan.
    Fruit woods are nice with chicken..hickory is a all around good wood, but I would limit the mesquite, because if overdone, it's IMHO a bit more tangy wood.
    Apple, even maple wood is good.
    Cheery..all fruitwoods...!
    Good luck....jump in MikeO...
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Zip, close enuff..:-)

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Birdman,
    All SUPER advice,with EGG and good tried and true methods that have been posted, you can't go wrong.I did a double whole breast cook this past weekend,both breast were about 6# each.cooked in v-rack set in alum. pan on 3 fire brick,had brined overnite in basic brine,sprayed down with olive oil,coated with Obie-Que Sweetrub,poured about 1/2 inch apple juice in alum. pan under rack,went 350° dome til Polder hit 165.They were sum' kinda goooood.I almost chunked out the pan full of juice and drippings,poured off the fat,the good stuff left was unbelivably good just poured over the breast and meat slices.Luck on your cook.Bob

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Bamabob,
    (PS) forgot to say that they took less than 2 hours to cook.;-) Bob

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Birdman,[p] The times others have given sound right to me, though brining will usually reduce the cooking time a bit. Still, 15-20 minutes per pound should do it. I always use the thermometer, though. Better safe than dried out! Brining gives you an extra margin of safety there, too. As C~W said, I'd stay away from mesquite on this one -- or use very little of it. Hickory is a little strong for my tastes on poultry, too, but if you don't use too much or combine it with a fruit wood, it should be good. From your selection, I'd go for mostly apple wood with a little hickory thrown in.[p]MikeO