Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping PRobinson

Options
Eggin in Peoria
Eggin in Peoria Posts: 262
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just curious if I was supposed to marinate the chicken in the beer/liq. smoke/oil mixture or if that was just the liquid inside the beer can for the actual cook? I'm assuming its just the liquid in the can.[p]BTW, I tried your profile email and it bounced back.[p]Tim

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,[p]I am sorry that I just came online. For future reference, I will provide details.[p]1. Make the rub: Put the Cajun and Old Bay seasonings in a small bowl and stir to mix.[p]2. Pop the tab off the beer can and pour half of the beer (3/4 cup) over the soaking wood chips or chunks or reserve for another use. If cooking the chicken on the can, using a church key-style can opener, make 2 additional holes in its top. Pour the liquid smoke into the beer can. Don't worry if the beer foams up: This normal. Insert a chopstick or skewer into the beer can gently stir to mix the liquid smoke and beer.[p]3. Remove the packet of giblets from the body cavity of the chicken and set aside for another use. Remove and discard the fat just inside the body and neck cavities. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water and then drain and blot dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Place the chicken in a large bowl on its side or in a resealable plastic bag and pour half the smoke-flavored beer over it. Let marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 45 minutes, turning the chicken twice. Make sure each breast side and the back have each marinated for 15 minutes. Set aside the can with the remaining smoke-flavored beer.[p]4. Remove the chicken from the marinde and pat dry with paper towels. Discard the marinade. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the rub inside the body cavity and 1 teaspoon inside the neck cavity of the chicken. Drizzle the oil over the outside of the bird and rub or brush it over the skin. Sprinkle the outside of the bird with 1 tablespoon of the rub and rub it over the skin. Spoon the remaining rub into the beer through a hole in the top of the can.[p]5. If cooking on the can: Hold the bird upright, with the opening of the body cavity at the bottom, and lower it onto the beer can so the can fits into the cavity. Pull the chicken legs forward to form a sort of tripod, so the bird stands upright. The rear leg of the tripod is the beer can.[p]6. Tuck the tips of the wings behind the chicken's back.[p]7. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium (325-350 degrees). If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center. Cover the grill and cook the chicken until the skin is a dark golden brown and very crisp and the meat is cooked through (about 180 degrees in the thickest part of a thigh, but not touching the bone).[p]Hope you were able to figure it out and your cook was sucessful.

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    PR,
    I just didn't marinate but it came out really good. I'll add these notes to my log. [p]thanks.