Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling in the rain

Options
JimF
JimF Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try out grilling ribs this weekend but rain is in the forecast. What are peoples experience grilling in the rain? Is there a chance if the egg is hot and it starts to rain that it will cause the egg to crack? How about controlling the temp if the rain is cooling the outside of the egg?[p]Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    JimF,
    Not a problem. I had a brisket on when this rain came up and all I did was set my Rain Cap down over the Daisy Wheel. It never missed a beat.[p]EarlyMorningSmokingintheRain-1.jpg[p]Others have come up with all kinds of contraptions to keep the rain out but I tend to like simple better.[p]Go for it.[p]Spring "Smok'n In The Rain, Just A Smok'n In The Rain" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    JimF,
    Don't need to worry about it. Rain has no effect on the egg. I live in the seattle area and Egg year round with no cover, raincap or anything like that....

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Raincap-1.jpg
    <p />JimF,
    Try one of these. I think it is 6" wide. I got it at the local Lowes or Home Depo. Good luck, Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    JimF,
    Did some drumstricks last night in a downpour with wind. The only issue was starting the coals with the lid open with rain getting on the charcoal. Took a while to come to temp. The ceramic mass of the egg, makes it ideal to grill even in sub-zero temp and still maintain temp. Never heard of an egg cracking from rain. I used a chimmney starter and put it on upside down with a plate on top to keep the rain out of the diasy wheel. Live 50 miles from the nearest Home Depot to buy a vent cover. Other people cut out a coffee can and put it on the top of the diasy wheel.[p]Andres

• JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I always like reading your improv sign-off that relates to the topic. You ever get stumped?

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    JimF,[p]As the other's have said a "rain cap" will solve any problem, and without one, a mild rain has little effect on an almost shut daisy wheel. One thing to watch during storms is if the wind starts blowing into your bottom vent. If possible, turn the Egg away from the wind if its more or less steady. Otherwise, a wind break will help keep the temperature steady.[p]gdenby
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    IMG_0209.jpg
    <p />JimF,
    I concur with the vent cap - but be careful and use a tool when handling it as it gets extremely hot!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    JimF,
    Thank you. Oh but I do get stumped every now and then. If I can't come up with the appropriate "middle name" I've actually deleted my ready-to-go post.[p]I can't help but think of poor StumpBaby. He starts his day getting stumped LOL. Sorry Stumpbaby, had an opening there and took it.[p]Spring "Going To Hooters To Suck Down Some Wings and Look At Some Stumps" Chicken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    OH LEROY,[p]You said:
    "Spring "Going To Hooters To Suck Down Some Wings and Look At Some Stumps" Chicken [p]You should be thankful I'm going to keep my Bordello mouth shut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL[p]Wondering what kind of "Stumps" you're looking at when in Hooters?????????????? Hee,Hee,Heeeeeeeeeeee
    Would that be an A,B,C,D, or???????????? "Stump"?????
    I kept the rest to myself. (:> )))[p]That was a good one.[p]Regards,
    Bordello [p][p]

• JayB
    JayB Posts: 14
    Options
    DSC00615-1.JPG
    <p />JimF,
    This old metal flower pot works great for smoking in the rain! Jay

• Unknown
    Options
    JimF,
    I did a pork butt on Thursday and it rained on and off all the way through. Didn't affect the dome temp at all. I did put some foil tented over the daisy wheel to keep the water from spittin' into my fire.