Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Refreezing pulled pork

Options
61chev
61chev Posts: 539
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have frozen pulled pork many times with good results. My question is can you refreeze pulled pork after thawing once? My problem is that my grandson has requested Grandpa's pork sandwiches for his graduation party. He lives in Minnesota about 6 hours away and his party is on Saturday after graduation on Friday nite. I have started smokin and plan on freezing about 30# of meat transporting it frozen and heating on the day of the party. If we have leftovers is it safe to refeeze? Maybe there won't be any but just looking for expert advise. Thanks
Gerry

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    61 CHEV,
    it's absolutely 'safe' to refreeze. food won't go bad just because you refreeze it. it CAN lose some of it's better qualities though, that's why you don't refreeze meats as a rule. they can get mushy, as the cell walls break down from ice crystals repeatedly forming.[p]i say what the heck. go ahead. he won't get sick, it just may not be the best-ever. though, it might actually get MORE tender. shouldn't lose flavor.[p]food-safety (bacteria) IS an issue if the food is repeatedly thawed/warmed/refrozen if the cumulative time it spends between 40-140 is over four hours or so, but how likely is that in this case?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante