Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about rib 3/1/1 cook

Options
JimF
JimF Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my egg at the Waldorf eggfest and have grilled steaks, hamburgers and salmon on it so far so think I am ready for a longer cook and thought I would try the 3/1/1 rib cook this weekend but I have a few questions about it.[p]I understand that the first 3 hours indirect is smoking the ribs at a low temp.[p]What is the reason for the 1 hour cook in foil? What does this do different than the 3 hours indirect other than no smoke because of the foil?[p]I read Wess's write-up and he says that since 2006 he does an indirect cook for the last hour after the foil. How does this differ from the first 3 hours other than saucing at the end?[p]I am just trying to understand what is being done during each of the three different phases. Thanks for any information that can be provided.[p]Jim

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    JimF,
    The 1 hour in the foil is basically braising the ribs...they will be falling off of the bone when you take them out of the foil...I go for about 45 minutes in foil these days.....the last hour, or 1.5, or whatever is needed to achieve your desired doneness , is firming the ribs back up so they are not quite as "fall off the bone" mushy...and allowing you to sauce them....HTH..and yes I leave my setup indirect for the entire cook...[p]Wess

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    I use the KISS method now. 250 for about five hours indirect, never flip, rotate the meat maybe ever 60-90 minutes and sauce two or three times the last hour.[p]Awesomest.

• Unknown
    Options
    JimF,
    To Wess' comments I would only add that I put some sort of liquid in the foil with the ribs when I foil them...apple juice, water, whatever. It's not a requirement, I guess, but I think it adds moisture and flavor to the braise. Also, I go DIRECT for the last hour, and baste for the last 20 minutes or so.

• Unknown
    Options
    JimF,[p]The 1 hour in the foil steams the ribs. I add brown sugar and apple juice to my ribs when I foil them. I cook indirect the whole time. The last hour is to help dry out the steam and add saucing.[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    JimF,
    depending if you add liquid or not they are getting steamed or braised. during this phase its good to look and see at 45 min to see how tender they are, sometimes they need more than an hour if you added cool liquid instead of hot or none etc. i just cook mine inderect or direct on a raised grill now, like them better that way and find the cooks more consistant than the 311, its good to try every method you can and settle in to the one you like as we all have different ideas on the finished product

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I'm with you on this. I have tried 3/1/1 but I find I like 250 indirect for about 5-6 hrs. [p]Now if I could just get the rub/sauce combo sorted out! Guess I will just have to keep trying and trying and trying. :)[p]

• JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for everybody's answer. That helps me understand it better. I guess I will just have to try ribs several different ways. Darn. :-)

• Unknown
    Options
    JimF,[p]If you go direct with sauce at the end just be careful as the sauce will burn pretty quickly with all the sugars. Just keep turning until the sauce carmelizes. I tend to do this at 350-400....not sure what others do.[p]Howard

• Unknown
    Options
    The fella that taught me to foil ribs (back when I was cooking on a gasser - ughhhh) would actually throw some ice cubes in the foil. Works very well. [p]I don't worry about flavoring the ribs at that point, because after being rubbed, smoked and cooked, the flavor's already in em.[p]I just wanna moisten em. [p]Will be throwing some ribs on my egg this afternoon. And can't wait.[p]