Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help!! Medium or Small

Jackbythesea
Jackbythesea Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My good friends w/first baby on the way are ready to get an egg for Fathers Day! The question they are asking me is what to buy? Medium or Small. Being I have a Large and a Small I don't really know what to say about the benefits of the medium. Do they really need it. Please help me help them.
Thanks!
Jack

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    jackbythesea,[p] Not trying to be rude, but if scroll down and look at every archive you will see we ALWAYS recommend a Large and get the small later. If he can't afford the large get a medium.[p] Sooo tell him to get the large.. [p]
  • Jackbythesea
    Celtic Wolf,
    That's what I say too but they've been looking at the Medium and Small and didn't want to spend their money but if you take the dive, dive deep!
    Thanks
    JR

• jackbythesea, I wish I had bought an egg (any size) when my first child was born. I'd say to my friends, "get the biggest one you can reasonably afford". A small egg would get most of their desired cooks done; a medium nearly everything, etc. You know how great a small egg is. They can't go wrong. Scott

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    jackbythesea,
    I have a wife and and 1 year old baby been married now over 4 years. I bought the large egg and love it... cooked so much convinced my wife for a small for duel cooks. My Bachelor Brother has a Medium... My Mom and Dad have a Medium egg. With that said everyone in my family loves their eggs. However, My Mom and Dad from time to time say they wish they bought a Large especially with the family get togethers. If they are good friends give them the money difference between the Medium and Large... so they can buy the Large. Call it a baby Shower Gift ;=) Trust me they will be like me eating a whole lot of meals at home! Which is a great thing if you own a BGE of course.[p]REgards, Pharmeggist

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    I own the Medium and there are 2 of us - will do parties occasionally and wish i had more space then.
    The medium will do a 17Lb turkey with no problem, pulled pork & 4 rib length's (placed vertically)
    i love my Medium & would not trade it.
    I first bought the small, but changed to the Med because i could not find many cooking accessories for that size. I also bought the Mini for searing & quick cooks while on vacation.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    jackbythesea,
    If the choice is between the two then I'd say get the medium. The larger capacity will be appreciated later when they are entertaining friends. Of course a large should almost always be Egg number one for a family but that was not a choice. RTD amongst others has shown the way on just how much you can do with a medium as well.[p]H

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    jackbythesea,
    I am always curious, what if you told them to buy the small. Then after they use if for a while and realize how good the food is and they become fanatics like the rest of. Then it will become clear to them that they need the large and All of the sudden they will have no problems dedicating all there spare money to buying a large. Then they will have the best of both worlds.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    jackbythesea,
    i usualy am cooking for myself and find that i still use the large more, i like the way the large cooks better. the small makes a good second egg, but the first needs to be bigger. buy atleast the medium, and try to talk them into the large.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    jackbythesea,[p]We have 4 people at home, one a teenage boy. I can easily cook the main course, and often the whole meal on a medium. I can't imagine a young couple needing more, except for parties. [p]My first Egg was a medium. My cooking has proved popular enough that I'm being asked to cook for larger numbers of people. So I bought another medium. If I did my math right, I have just a tiny bit more grate space than a large and small. So I expect that hosting my daughter's birthday party will be a breeze. I will concede, tho', that a large and small is probably more flexible and a bit more economical.[p]gdenby
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Pdub,[p]That's exactly the road I went down 4 years ago!![p]The Large wasn't nearly as hard a sale...once the Boss approved of the food off the Small!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Jackbythesea
    fishlessman,
    Thanks! You are always there for everyone. I agree!
    Jack