Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My large BGE wants a friend

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to get a consensus on whether a medium or small is the best complement to a large. I entertain quite a bit so I naturally assumed that a medium would be the best choice, but a small would be nice when it's just the wife and me.[p]Suggestions?[p]Steve

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Small[p]you will see that vote lots & lots.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    IMG_00321.jpg
    <p />Steve,
    LOL - but the definition of consensus will be what all eggers are on the board tonight, but the real decider will be you and your entertaining habits. For my wife and I (though we own 4 of these green jewels) the large and small is a kick-butt combination.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Steve,
    I have the Large and small BGE combo. Works great!

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Pharmeggist, Ditto!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Steve,[p] I have two XL's, two larges, and a small. My large and Small get the most use.[p]Get a small..[p]
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Table6.jpg
    <p />Steve, I think the small is the perfect compliment for the large. Alot of times recipes call for you to sear on the stove and finish off in the oven. I use the small for the searing part and the large for the oven part. Not to mention using the small simply for side dishes or smaller cooks.
    Spedini1.jpg
    Spedini4.jpg
    I also have a medium on the deck in case I just want to step right out of the kitchen for a fix.
    extbrst.jpg

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Steve,[p]I started with a large and wanted a small. My wife said no - she wanted a medium. OK - who's to complain. I have since found that my large gets used only when I am doing larger quantities of food (ribs, butts, etc.) or have special requirements of some kind. Almost everything else is done on the medium. My advice to you is that getting a medium would be like getting a mistress - you'll make use of her more than you do your loyal and dutiful spouse but you'll always come home on occasion. So unless you want to put your large into that situation, I'd get the small.
  • Ottawa_egger
    Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
    Options
    jake42,[p]What's that thing in the pan and on the foil? Looks interesting...[p]Ottawa_egger
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    Steve,
    i have the large and small, works well for me, however if you need a larger egg for entertainig as a second egg, i would get another large over the medium. you already probably have all the accessories that fit a large that will come in more handy than having to buy every thing needed for a medium.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    That's spedini. Marinated stuffed chicken breast on a skewer.