Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook and Burning Gasket Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought my first BGE it's a small. If I like it I plan to buy a large for the backyard. This Wednesday night I want to do my first cook on the small. I was hoping to do a couple of TRex steaks.
But I've read on the BGE website that you shouldn't do a high cook at first or you might burn up your gasket. Is this true? If it is what would you recommend as a good first cook for 2 people (recipes and cooking directions would be GREAT)? Also, what accesories would you recommend I get for my small BGE?[p]Thanks for any and all help![p]Joe

Comments

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    Joe Schwatka,
    It does seem that the gasket stays on better after it has been used on a few low temp cooks first. I would do the low temps first 250-350 for an hour or longer at least a couple of times before I cranked it up to 700-850 range.
    Jake

• Unknown
    Options
    Joe Schwatka,
    My first cook was a spatchcock chicken, my 2nd was a rump roast. They turned out great and both were easy. And they were both mid-range temp cooks.
    The Naked whiz shows how to spatchcock a chicken. I used a basic rub and no extra smoke. For the beef, I just checked the oven instructions from my Good Housekeeping cookbook and used the same temps on my Egg. Plain salt and pepper on that one.[p]Good luck, have fun!

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm [/ul]