Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cast iron grill for mini (pics)

Ottawa_eggerOttawa_egger Posts: 236
edited 2:17AM in EggHead Forum
Char-Broil cast iron grid replacement - $35[p]4-hr angle grinder rental with cutting wheel from the Home Depot - $20[p]Fee to extend rental to 24 hrs because wife decided to make the fam go to the park on Mothers' Day - $8[p]Years of cast iron grill marks on my seared steaks - PRICELESS!!![p]After hearing people heap praise on their cast iron grids and seeing the innovative egger's make their own, I decided to bite the bullet and make one for my mini. After all, I did buy it primarily to TRex steaks![p]I started off with the Char-Broil replacement grill and traced an outline.[p]<a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">Outline.jpg[p]
Here it is with the original grill over top. The original grill is 9.5" in diameter, and I made mine 10.375" to create a more snug fit. At this diameter it fits nicely on the fire ring with about a quarter inch for expansion. After grinding I took my Dremel and buzzed the edges of the cuts to get rid of the burrs.[p] <a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">Outlinewithoriginal.jpg[p]
Here is the final product. After grinding, I decided to remove the fire ring on my mini and see if I can rest the grill on the fire box for a closer sear. Turns out the taper of the mini means a 10.375" is too wide as it rests about 1" above the fire box, supported but the mini perimeter. This would be dangerous to grill on because the iron would expand under heat and crack my mini like - well, an egg. I trimmed it down again and the final grill is 9.75" in diameter and rests on the firebox with about 0.25" of play for expansion. You can see a few nicks I made with the angle grinder in trying to trim it down, but all-in-all, I'm impressed with the result.[p]<a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">Finishedgrill.jpg[p]
Unfortunately our park trip pushed this activity until after dinner so I have to wait until next week to try it out. [p]For those interested in trying this yourself, the entire project took about 1.5 hours from start to finish. The angle grinder throws off lots of sparks and creates quite a dust mess, so it is not advisable to do this near an leaky gas tank or in the kitchen. It only took 10-15 minutes to cut the grill out of the blank, so it is not a big deal.[p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    Ottawa_egger,
    That looks like a piece of art. Nice job![p]Your right about allowing for expansion, a tight fit could crack the egg. Have fun and enjoy your grilled steaks!
    Clay