Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger Needs Help

Options
Michael B
Michael B Posts: 986
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There is a new Egger in Burlington, Vermont who is intimidated with his new Egg. Been reading the forum for a while and made the plunge to buy a small but doesnÕt know what to do with it. He also says this is his first outdoor cooker, which I guess could compound the helpless feeling.[p]Question to the list:
Is there anyone close to Burlington, Vermont who could help with a little one-on-one on-the-job training. My guess is that beer and ribs would be happily supplied.
He is a list reader, so post here and you'll probably get an e-mail soon.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Michael B,
    take a deep breath and relax. My first piece of advice is to sit down and watch the DVD. All of it. I encourage you to even watch the assembly part if your egg has been delivered assembled. It will help you learn more about your first Egg. then go to www.nakedwhiz.com and read the answers to almost any question you still might have. Then fire it up and enjoy. Remember, breathe! Feel free to email me. Just put BGE in the subject line.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Michael B,
    You're in luck as I know another egger in Burlington who also has a small. His name is Jason Upton. I can give you his address and email, but I don't want to post it here. Also the moniker you posted as is already been claimed so you'll need to pick a new one and then email me - otherwise I'd be sending the info to aircraft inspector, Michael Ballou in NH!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    Michael B,
    never been to burlington...but i have been to Killington....beautiful place I almost bought a condo....anyway enuff of that[p]I too was an intimidated newbie w/no charcoal eggsperience[p]first things first....build a pyramid of sorts w/the lump make sure all 3 of the fire triangle are present: fuel heat and oxygen[p]light the bad boy and start reducing or increasing air vents to get the desired temp.....cook just like you do indoors....I am dead serious....don't sweat the small errors that are inevitably gonna occur, and don't get in a hurry...just enjoy it[p]Good luck[p]Jan

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Ok... Let me see if I can clear up a few things.[p]FIRST - I AM Michael Ballou, the aircraft inspector from New Hampshire.[p]Second - Nobody falsely started this thread under my screen name. [p]Third - I started the thread for someone who has his Egg and has been reading the forum for a while, so KNOWING the basics is not a problem. Being intimidated and unable to take the next step is the problem.[p]Fourth - I did not and will not post his name because I do not have permission to do so. I figure that if he wanted his name posted here he would do it himself.[p]I believe he just needs a little personal onsite support to get through a first cook to be on his way.[p]In the mean time, to you in Burlington ...[p]Try a couple dry runs.
    Put a few good size double hand fulls of lump in your Egg.
    Light it.
    Get your temps stabilized.
    Shut it down.[p]Don’t worry about cooking anything right now, just get to know your Egg.[p]On the third or fourth run through, put a couple hot dogs in the Egg for a few minutes before shutting the Egg down.[p]The next time, peal the wrapping off of a 1 pound roll of Jimmy Dean sausage and put it in the Egg for 90 minutes at 250 degrees before shutting the Egg down. If you have a meat thermometer, use it instead of a timer. Don’t worry about spices, rubs, or anything else, just cook the sausage. It will be great.[p]If you’re not feeling better about your Egg by then, Drop me a line. By my schedule right now, I am off next on Monday and Tuesday May 21 and 22.