Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Collagen: Beef vs Pork a Difference?

FireballFireball Posts: 354
edited 1:00AM in EggHead Forum
I have pulled a lots of Boston Butts, which were BBQ to an internal tempt of 200 degrees. I have also pulled several chuck roast and chunk of chests, again to an internal tempt of 200 degrees. [p]The chuck roast that I pulled yesterday ( internal tempt of 204) was not as tender as the others. Also, as I was pulling it, I noticed connecting bands of collagen being pulled apart still intact. [p]Does “beef” collagen break down at a higher temperature than “pork” collagen? Or was this just a tough steer, or cow? I think it was the latter. Thanks.
Fireball

·

Comments

• djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Fireball:[p]I think the beef collagen just takes longer to break down.

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,339
    Fireball,
    I think Darryl's point is pretty good. I know with beef ribs, like JJ mentioned a ways back, 225 for 6 hours or more is what it takes to break those babies down. How long did you cook it? Could have also been a hyper cow.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • FireballFireball Posts: 354
    Nature Boy,
    Five pounds @ 230 to 250 degrees for 11 hours until the polder read an internal of 204.
    Fireball

·
  • BamabobBamabob Posts: 246
    Fireball,
    Maybe you just got a hunk of one of them there MAD COWS from across the water:-). Bob

·
  • CaptainBBQCaptainBBQ Posts: 29
    Nature Boy,[p]Are you saying to maintain an internal meat temp at 225 or a dome temp?[p]CaptainBBQ

·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    CaptainBBQ:[p]Dome.
    ·