Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Brisket

Options
mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some help. I have tried various recipies for brisket and so far have not had any success - the result is always tough. I have been following the egg cookbook instructions cooking a 3-4lb brisket for 30-45 minutes per pound. I am discouraged but ready to try again - should I cook longer? Someone also suggested I cook for some period and then wrap in foil and cook. [p]To be more specified - covering in mustard and applying a rub.[p]Thank you
Mike

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Mike,[p]Brisket should be cooked at 250 dome for 1-2 hours per pound. If you want to foil it wait till the internal temp is 165 and then pull the brisket from the cooker when it reached 200 degs.[p]Even without the foil pull the brisket at 200 external or when what ever you are poking it with to take it's temp comes out smoothly and without resistance..[p][p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Mike,
    you need atleast a 7 pound flat, 8 would be better with a fat cap. the smaller ones dont cook right and your not cooking it long enough for it to tenderize itself. an 8 pound flat takes me about 12 hours cooking inderect at 235 at the brisket level, i cook them fat side down with a pork butt on a raised grill above it. since thats usually too much meat for me, the butt gets vacuum sealed for later. my guess with a 3-4 pound brisket is that it would need atleast 8 hours cooking slow, but you really want the larger cut to work with.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    meant to ask this before.
    where are you getting the bigger ones? Market basket, whole foods, shaws, down here all seem to carry 3 to 4 pound flats

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    stike,
    I just some at the local grocer, 8lb whole trimmed. Large dogs not beef. LOL[p]Mike

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Mike,
    I didn't hear anyone mention the cooler time! I've always taken mine off the egg wrapped in foil and towells and put in cooler for about two or three hours. They always come out fork tender and delicious!
    8 to 12 lb brisket, packer trim with fat cap 230º to 250º indirect over hickory or mesquite for 12 hours pull around 190º~ 205º wrap up and cooler for two hours minimum. I swear it'll work![p]Give it a try,
    Cheers!