Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another use for Firebricks

Options
Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I used some firebricks to support my repaired fire box while the J B Weld dried. Overnight friday, after a high temp cook, a triangluar chunk of my cracked fire box fell to the bottom of one egg. Fire brick to the rescue. This egg is now ready to cook. Doing my 3 egg dinner today.[p]69 days until Michigan Summer Egg-Fest. See you in Rockford Michigan.
Fireball[p]

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Fireball,
    What's the drill out there? Sounds like it might be and interesting trip. Do you airports in the region. My atlas shows "unexplored territory" beyond New York. There is a mention of something called Detroit. What is the exact date?
    Carey ;>O

• Fireball
    Options
    Sundown,
    Yes there is life west of New York. Michigan is north of Ohio and east of Denver and south of the North Pole, but not much.[p]Michigan Summer Egg-Fest is August 18, 2001 in Rockford, Michigan. Rockford is about 21 miles north of Grand Rapids (the nearest large airport, with scheduled flights even). This is the first year of this Fest. It will not be as large as EGGfest or Eggtoberfest. However, the camaraderie will be scintillating and the beverage of choice will be flowing. I will be baking mini calzones on my Mini.[p]You will be in Beautiful Southwest Michigan, one hour from Lake Michigan. Think of the Atlantic, but with tree-lined sandy shores and without salt--no hosing down after coming out. The Rouge River is a trout stream which runs through Rockford. This site will introduce you to lots of other things to see and to do in West Michigan: http://www.wmta.org/[p]Bring your family and friends. The natives and eggies are friendly, and we would really like to see you.
    Fireball [p]

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Fireball,
    Let us know how the J-B Weld holds up. It's been my experience that it does not do well under high heat conditions. BGE has a glue for the old eggs, but there again my experience with it was not all that successful. In steps the new egg with a lifetime warranty and the saga continues.
    Mark

• Fireball
    Options
    Mark,
    This is the second repair on the same piece. The first was also with JB Weld and lasted about 2 months. I need to get some Rutland Furance Cement for the next time. You know how it goes out sight out of mind--must write it down.
    Fireball

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Fireball, grind down the joints and don't worry about losing stock. Once you have a clean joint, water them down good before applying the fill cement and joining the parts. Its mortar is easily workable for a while. Add enough small amounts of water to the mortar in the container to make it toothpaste consistancy. Just the surface of the container mortar. Or put some in a separate pot and mix it. Depends on the amount you will need for the repair.
    A dab of water to the mix before resealing keeps it nice and moist for the next time..Even years later.
    C~W
    (I talk too much):-)[p]