Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gotta love the Egg!

Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have to say, and i know this has been repeated over and over again...but the egg is GREAT! [p]i'm honestly grilling or smoking something every night. ever since i got the MAPP torch, it's SOOOOOOOOOO easy to get a good hot fire going in no time at all. honestly, from the second i light the lump to the egg being at 600+ only takes 10 minutes, tops. i'll tell you, 10 minutes is the minimum amount of time that you'd need to warm up even a gas grill. [p]and once the temp is where i want, and i set the vents to where i think they'll hold that temp, the egg keeps the temp there better than my oven! [p]and of course, the flavor and moisture of the food cooked on it simply cannot be beat.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Midnight Smoker,[p]And from the choir...[p]Amen![p]gdenby

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Midnight Smoker, that's cool you're digging the egg. One suggestion for you, try taking the ten minute burn time out longer, more than 30-60 minutes. Use the color of the smoke to guage when the egg is ready for viddles, clean smoke is a sign of a clean burning fuel. [p]Also, the longer burn time will also heat your egg, helping with more consistant temps early in the cook. If you like the food now, wait till you burn-in the lump before cooking. Just a suggestion! T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    tjv,[p] Not to mention the longer wait time burns off the VOC's that cause the flashback..[p]
  • tjv,[p]good point. i always make sure to wait a while longer when i put in fresh lump (every 3rd or 4th cook usually). if i'm just lighting previously used lump, i just start cooking as soon as i hit the target temp, especially if i'm just grilling something hot and fast. if i'm doing a low and slow, i'll let the egg come to temp and stablize for at least a half hour or so.