Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic cookers

Options
Porky1
Porky1 Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of buying the largest BGE available for use in my home in West Palm Beach. I don't compete, so moving it around is not an issue. I have read great things about ceramic cookers and I am looking for info on how expandable the cooking area is and approx. how many lbs of meat this holds? Any pros and cons that I should be aware of regarding these cookers.
For anyone that wants to know I go by "Porky" on other BBQ sites.[p]Thanks in advance for you help.[p]Les

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Porky1,[p] I have had 45+ pounds of pork on my XL. Do you plan on cooking for 100-200 people ALL the time?[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    2005012055.jpg
    <p />Porky1,
    i think the large is the most thought out in the lineup. it just seems to cook right imho. i also own a small, never cooked on the xl, but the large just looks right to me. this is a large with 2 flats and 2 butts stacked on various grills, all pieces are about 8 pounds each. i would also go with 2 eggs instead of the largest as this allows two cooking setups and or temps

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Porky1,[p]I highly recommend the BGE. Before I purchased mine, I pondered and debated forever it seems and finally was in the mood and spent the $$ one day for a large BGE and the cypress table. I have absolutely no regrets about buying the egg....money well spent. EVERYTHING you read here is true. The folks here do a great job of providing info to folks like us. My next plan is to build a custom table for the BGE made of "peckered" cypress from the swamps here in Louisiana....now go and buy the BGE before the sun sets.[p]Good Luck,[p]Rajun Cajun
  • Unknown
    Options
    Guys, thanks for the quick replies. I am in the info gathering mode and hope to be able to come up with a plan in the not to distant future. I will be in So Fl all next week and I will find a dealer so I can touch and feel the BGE.
    Keep those replies coming.[p]Les

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Les Pokrass,[p] Do yourself a favor and go an extra few miles. I highly recommended the dealer below. Fritz knows what the egg can do.[p]Fritz Smickle
    Fireside Hearths & Grills
    1811 U.S. Highway 1 So.
    St. Augustine, FL 32084
    (904) 819-9770
    (904) 819-9760 Fax[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Porky1,
    Personally I suggest passing on the XL, put a few more bucks in your budget and buy both a large and a small BGE. It's a wonderful combination that permits versatile cooking combos.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    RRP,[p] I got two larges! Does that mean I need two smalls? I only got one..

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I live in Ft. Pierce...about an hour north of Porky...and I highly recommend..."Grill One" which is located in Jensen Beach....They're an authorized BGE Dealer....And they are absolutely EGGSPERTS!!....They sell 'em..use 'em at home..have everything you need when it comes to the BGE and their prices are fair....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    yup! Otherwise you'll list to the side when you walk since you don't balance.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Porky1, do you plan to use it primarily for a grill or for smoking?[p]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    RRP,[p]I believe he's unbalanced on a good day! ;>)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Sundown,[p] Hey I resemble that remark..[p]Least I don't go postal when I see a food close-up...[p]
  • hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    Porky1,
    whatsup porky..i told you what i thought about the BGE on the other forum..its good you could make over here.. you'll get all the info you need at this forum about the egg.now its time you go out and get one of these bag boys....its hard to have just one....

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    standard set up is one "large", two "smalls".[p]if you know what i mean.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Porky1,[p]Hey Porky, [p]I recognize your handle...[p]Over the years I have had a lot of grills and smokers...
    Some do a great job but only one...(Cookshack is a great smoker)[p]but ....everything I have had would do one thing great and that was it..[p]the egg or ceramic cooker does all of the things great..[p]cooks, smokes, bakes, broils, grills,,......[p]I smoke 40 lbs of pork but at once...[p]I can do 30 pizzas in a night...[p]I can do 2 burgers quicker than you can heat up a webber grill..[p]If I had the space and money I would have every size of egg offered...[p]Someday I will!

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Porky1,[p]Except for the medium and mini I have just about all sizes old and new. All have their place in cooking history. I do encourage the LG for slow cooks using no electric CFM. They perform as advertised on this forum. The XL's are great for just about everything. The half moon heavy duty iron grate makes an ideal situation for interactive cooking. It's nice to be able to get down into the fire without having to remove hot grates. However, I have yet to brave a slow cook on the XL without a stoker or guru. It does take some muscle to keep them steady. I believe that will change as they season and experience sets in to the newer and bigger model. Bring on the JUMBO!!

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    If you like to smoke full slabs get the XL. I've did 21 slabs this weekend, with room for a few more.

Also now that you can get a half moon ceramic plate and half moon cast iron grate, it is much easier to grill direct and cook indirect at the same time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I'm over the postal part the new medication is working! I'd share it with you but, IT'S ALL MINE!