Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beginner's Bread

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could someone be kind enough to post a recipe for what would be an easy bread for an absolute beginner to try on the egg please. I have never made my own bread before but that was one of the reasons for buying the egg, and feel confident enough now with temp control and all that to give it a shot. Thanks in advance, Roger

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    City Slicker, if you have been making bread in the oven, then just follow the same recipes and place it on a platesetter (legs down). If you have never meade bread, I think an easy introduction is just to buy one of those "bread in a roll" from Pillsbury and give it a shot. Follow the temps on the package and I like to use a sheet of Reynold "no-stick" foil between my bread and the platesetter. If you have a pizza stone as well, it doesn't hurt to place the stone on the platesetter to give you an extra layer of ceramic mass and put the bread on that. The ultimate bread maker around (in my opinion) is Old Dave and if he doesn't chime in, eMail me and I'll send you a few notes he sent me some time ago.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    City Slicker,
    this ones more like a muffin, but its the easiest homemade one out there, just 2 ingrediants

[ul][li]icecream bread[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    City Slicker,[p]I would start out with your favorite pan bread. It is easy to do and about fool-proof. As for some recipes, I would need to know just what equipment you have for bread making. ie; breadmaker, Kitchen-Aid Mixer, other heavy duty mixer, or if you want to make some bread by hand. [p]I also need to know what you have for the cooker for the higher temp baking. What size is your cooker, do you have a plate setter and pizza stone? Is it the corect size stone for the cooker? If you plan to bake pan bread without the ceramic hearth, it is also easy to do but you will need a raised grid and a drip pan to make an indirect bake. You would also need some bread pans. [p]You can e-mail me with the details and I would be more than happy to give you a hand with your baking. [p]Here is a loaf of sourdough pan bread made without a plate setter or pizza stone. Again, this was baked indirect on a raised grid in a pan.[p]52MVC-014E.jpg[p]Dave

• Unknown
    Options
    City Slicker,
    Make sure you have some fresh lump in the egg. I reused a hand full of lump that had burger drippings all over it and my apple crisp came out tasting like burgers. Good luck with the bread, Pdub

• hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    Old Dave,
    can i get some of your info on bread making i tryed to email you but it wouldn't go thought sorry. i got the bread maker, and the KA.. and the platesetter and a bge pizza stone for my large bge.. i also made a raised grid..mahalos for any help you can give me..

• City Slicker
    Options
    Old Dave, thanks for the offer. You have mail <grin>

• City Slicker
    Options
    Wise One, thanks for the input, Old Dave came through !

• City Slicker
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for the recipe, I will get my hands wet with this one, soon as I clean out the old lump. (thanks Pdub)