Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-bones

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi to everyone in eggland,
I have company and will be cooking one inch thick T-bone steaks tonight. What would you suggest for these, also time and temp. for them to be medium to medium well. I was looking at Scotts mustard rubbed steaks done at 700° but am not sure about what the kosher salt does and will it make the meat taste salty?????? Can't wait to play with the egg again.
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    New Bob,
    I have no first hand experience with T bones but I`m sure any of the recipes in the recipe section with approx. the same thickness would be right in line with your T bones, one of my favorite steaks I might add....I would guess you would run roughly 3/3/5..but it`s just my guess...could always rely on an instant read thermometer..but remember to burp the egg...sorry I couldnt offer more, hope this helps some..[p]Wess

• Bordello
    Options
    WessB,
    All help is always appreciated, I may very well keep it simple because it will be the safest way to go. Hate to mess things up when company is here.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    New Bob,
    Just saw your post and since I fixed up T bones a couple of days ago thought I'd put in my 2c worth.I wanted something quick and easy,so just coated with mustard,sprinkled with Montreal steak seasoning and let er' rip at 700 for the 2/2/5 time.They were great as usual.I did mess up a couple of nice thick T bones several weeks ago,I made the BAD mistake of getting in a hurry and and defrosting meat in the microwave.I do remodeling and have tasted some sawdust that had more flavor:-) Good luck on cook. Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Bamabob,
    Thanks for your response. I ended up coating these wonderful u.s. choice T-bones with JJ's rub,coarse ground pepper,oregano,onion powder,basil and thyme. Cooked at about 675° 3/3/6, with a hand full of jack daniels chips.
    I have to tell you these were the best steaks I have ever had, my company was in heaven. Had a nice salad and some good red wine to top it off.
    Thanks, happy egg-en to ya.
    New Bob

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Bamabob,
    Take those frozen T-Bones and throw them on the BGE with a little mesquite at 150, or as low as you can keep it, for for about a half hour. The temp will creep to 200. Take them off fire up the EGG and cook as you would normally do. They are GRRR...ATE! ! !

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    MAC,
    Thanks for idea,I'll give it a try the next time I fail to thaw ahead,(probably won't be long!!) Bob