Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

3-1-1 ribs on a mini? (link)

Ottawa_eggerOttawa_egger Posts: 236
edited 6:29AM in EggHead Forum
I'm going to enter my girls (ages 7 & 9) in the following rib cookoff, amateur division:[p]http://www.gloucesterfair.ca/programs/bbq/bbq.htm[p]For $25 you get two racks of baby backs, rubs, sauce, and a shot at glory. I figure it will be a good time and a nice learning experience. The problem is, all I have is a large and a mini, so that leaves me with doing ribs on the mini (probably just one rack). I realize I will probably have to do a lump reload halfway, unless I can start the fire directly on the ceramic (i.e. remove the grate - comments?)[p]I am wondering if anyone has previously concocted an indirect cooking setup for the mini? I have a mini wooring on order from tjv, so if that arrives in time I might try the original grill on the fire ring supporting a drip pan/heat barrier, wooring for separation, and my mini cast iron grill (this weekend's project) on top of the wooring. This should give me enough room to put a rack of ribs (obviously cut in half or in thirds).[p]Any comments?[p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Ottawa_egger,
    i dunno. sounds tough to do.
    how hard is it to transport the large? do you feel comfortable enough to take the dome off to make it a bit easier to move? ...i guess, "no" if you think your only option is the mini.[p]i did a trimmed rack of spares on the small. had to array them around the center, corner touching,in pinwheel fashion. b-backs would obviously be a better fit.[p]regardless, sounds like a fun time. good luck.[p]heeeey...
    you could always buy a small. heh heh heh.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokey OneSmokey One Posts: 17
    Ottawa_egger,[p]Several years ago someone made one rack of ribs on a mini. They were roled up and had a squewer through them. I seem to recall the results being very good. I think two cooking grids and a small 8 inch drip pan were used to create an indirect set up.[p]the "Smokey One"