Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Intro plus Schweinshaxen

Options
Beerco
Beerco Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all,[p]Just got my BGE a week or so ago and am lovin' life. I posted my first week's results here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f93/opinions-on-a-smoker-grill-33926-2.html so I won't bother gushing about how happy I am with my Large Egg here.[p]Anyhow, about me, I've been grillin' forever on a gas grill but really only started BBQ'in a couple years ago on an electric R2D2 smoker and a little webber kettle grill. I've got a lot of experience cookin' on the stove, but only about a half dosen pork butts, many many salmons and two rib cooks on the BBQ.[p]Back in 2002, I lived in southern Germany for a year and loved their dish Schweinshaxen. It's a ham hock or half (or perhaps all) of the knee joint of a pig. I'm not sure if it's front or hind legs. Here's a couple of web pages I've found:[p]http://www.kufstein.org/stelze/[p]and here's a link to some genuine Germans cooking some up: http://www.grillsportverein.com/schweinshaxen/[p]This is one of the most amazing pork dishes I've ever had! The skin is so crispy and the meat so tender. Served in a little layer of gravy the stuff is just brilliant.[p]So I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced this stuff and better yet, adapted a recipe for the egg. If not, keep your eyes on this space, I'll figure it out over the next year or so![p]Ciao,

Comments

• Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Options
    Beerco,[p]I was in Germany for two years while in the army. I've never had the dish your talking about but one thing I fell in love with over there was Spiesbratten. That stuff is just AWESOME. I recomend giving that a try if you havnt had it before.[p]P.S. in regards to the pics....only in Germany...LOL
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    Beerco,
    I was in Germany for an internship in a kitchen and I loved Schweinshaxen. Please post if you figure it out on an egg. Hoss

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Beerco,[p] Get a plate setter for your egg and cook it exactly like the directions say.. Substitute Egg for the word Oven. If you have a dutch oven you can even do the initial boil on the egg. [p] This is great served with Sauerkraut or Sauerbratten. While I too live in Germany for three years I had this dish long before I went to Neureut, Germany. Schweinshaxen is known and sold in the US as Ham Hocks.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Beerco, I was at the German Corner in Phoenix on a Wednesday night and the waiter asked when I was leaving. I told him Friday night and that I would be back in before I left so he said "Good! Our special on Friday night is our Schweinehaxen so I'll save you one." The though of eating a ham hock was very unappealling to me so when I went back in on Friday night I snuck into the bar thinking the waiter would not see me. He happened to pass by and when he spied me, he said "Good! I saved one for you!". Well, at that point I felt trapped so tried to bury my sorrow in my beer (my sorrow was about three beers' worth) and he brought the Schweinehaxen. It was about the best thing I had ever eaten. The meat was tender and just fell off the bone. Since then I have also had pretty good Schweinehaxen at Teske's Germania in San Jose as well. Let us know how you do on this. I might like to do one myself.
  • Beerco
    Beerco Posts: 25
    Options
    Rick G,[p]Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll start looking for ham hocks locally. I've already picked up a platesetter too.[p]As to the pics....I'm going to buy a speedo just to be more authentic.