Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grillin' Tuna

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking forward to cookin up some Tuna on the Egg!
I don't have it yet, so I'm doing the homework first.[p]I don't have a cast iron skillet to sear it in so I was thinking of trying it on my fish/veggie grate- anyone have experience with that? [p]I'm looking to get a skillet that I can use in my large, I was thinking of something around 9" so it would be big enough for searing Tuna but not too big to fit in the egg if I was cooking something else with the dome closed.[p]From what I've read, I'm thinking maybe just salt and pepper, 60 seconds/side at 650 or so. Does that sound right? Anyone have any recommendations for easy prep with simple rub?
Thanks!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    it's firm enough to treat like a steak. you don't need a fish grate really.[p]i like mine with a chromium rub, and a hint os galvy in the smoke.[p]gawd, what a pain in the arse i yam.[p]back to the fish. i know your family's palette. you may want to make a simple teryaki marinade for some of it. don't marinate much more than half an hour or so, or it can get too much.[p]i like mine with just a bit of olive oil on it, maybe some toasted sesame sprinkled on (after grilling). i use sesame oil, too, sometimes instead of olive oil. you might wanna try tsunami spin on it. or salt/pepper/garlic[p]if it sticks, don't panic, that just means it's not ready to turn. 45/60 seconds on a thick piece may give you rare in the middle, which is good if that's what you like, of course. but your audience may want more 'medium'. in that case, you can roast to final internal temp of 140-145 ish.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    im not sure what is meant by easy prep, for something that costs so much i need to go overboard. if i serve it overcooked which seems to be what the non tuna eaters prefer, i make a sauce to pour over it for the needed moistness because tuna gets dry fast if its over cooked. it also gets dry sitting on the plate so you dont want it resting at all, it needs to be served and cut into immediatly off the grill. this recipe is for the too cooked stuff when people expext the tuna to be cooked thru like most fish is served. the other one is for those that like it not cooked and red throughout, im not a big fan of the heavy charred stuff so i sear quickly just to get the exterior to change color, the inside just has the chill taken off it. i like the darkest red bluefin i can find, others would prefer the yellow tailed, but this is newengland, we eat bluefin
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2006/messages/252951.htm

[ul][li]tuna cooked thru[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bean town griller
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Grilling Tuna is great and so easy. Takes flavor quickly, so not much marinating time and grill time is super fast. I generally cook directly on the grate of the BGE. Use a temp similar to what I would use to T-Rex a steak. I marinate for no more than an hour in sesame oil, chopped scallion, ginger, salt/pepper and small amount of soy sauce (a little goes a long way as the fish absorbs almost all). Prior to grilling I put a bunch of fresh ground black pepper on the fish. Some comes off in the cook, but makes a nice crust on the outside.[p]Cook for a minute per side and slice thin against the grain. Great flavor, good for you and easy.[p]Enjoy how ever you decide to cook.[p]Bean Town

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    fishlessman,

[ul][li]tuna with applebrandy glaze[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bama Egger
    Bama Egger Posts: 137
    Options
    [img][/img]Cooks12.jpg
    <p />Not as exciting as the other recipes, but I simply use a little EVOO and some cajun seasoning and cook with a dome temp of ~700 deg for 90 - 120 secondes per side.

• Flashback Bob
    Flashback Bob Posts: 519
    Options
    stike,
    There's no way anyone's getting anything more than RARE when I cook this bad boy! [p]Let 'em eat fish sticks![p]Sesame sounds good. I think I had that on a Tuna steak I got at Anthem.

• Unknown
    Options
    I just give it some olive oil, lime juice and dizzy pig
    and put it right on the grill
    onthegrill.jpg

best regards
    thorsten