Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those Blue Smoke Experts--NBoy, TE

Options
BYC
BYC Posts: 358
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A couple of weeks ago I asked for the meaning of blue smoke versus the heavy white or grey smoke and when it was appropriate to add meat. Seemed the general plan from all was to wait for the heavy stuff to clear and the fine barely visible smoke to appear. Based on this pic (and others like it) was this too early to apply meat or is slow cooking butt the exception to the blue smoke rule? Just going for clarity. [p]Thanks
[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/367196.shtml[/ul]

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    BYC,
    Off hand, and in my N.S.H. opinion - yes.
    Besides density and color, the odor of the smoke will shift from an acrid, make you want to choke smell to a pleasant makes you want to breathe deeper smell. How did the smoke smell?

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Michael B,[p]Those weren't mine. I do wait for an hour or so and when the blue smoke appears to apply meat. BUT there was a time when I was going fo all the smoke I could, which has ruined the cook. Thanks

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BYC,[p]I don't think that smoke is ready for you yet. You know, you don't need any flavor smoke when you barbecue but most everyone does like the flavor it gives barbecued meats. You don't need any rub either, or just a simple salt, pepper, garlic. But again, most folks expect a rub on their barbecue. I can't tell if you have any at all on those butts?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery