Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simulatneous Brisket and Butt - What smoke to use?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first Brisket as we speak and it's clearer than ever that dropping something in the egg would have been easy to do for a long cook.[p]My question is, what type of wood would you use if you were doing Pork Butts and Brisket? I think of Hickory with Pork, and am doing Mesquite with my Brisket right now. [p]Obviously people have done this quite often... what works for you? Also, do you position the butts over the brisket or vice-versa? Don't know what would be better, brisket with pork flavored drippings, or Pork with brisket flavored drippings.[p]Thanks guys and gals!

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Both are interesting questions....I like hickory but prefer oak chunks from wine barrels or Jack Daniel's chips....Also like oak pellets....Just personal preference.....As for the positioning I'm not sure that makes all that much difference....I would probably put the pork butt on the bottom and the brisket on top.....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Newgene,
    I use a mix of both Hickory and Mesquite chunks, with about double the Hickory than Mesquite. I'd put the pork on top. Seems like it would help keep the brisket moist.

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Newgene,
    Any mild fruitwood, pecan, or oak will do. It's easy to oversmoke a brisket so err on the lighter side. Smoke for the brisket, not the butt.