Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Sauce for Wings?

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to fire up a load of ChefRD's Hot Wings this evening, and ran out of my favorite "Wing-time" sauce. Seem to remember a simple concoction of Durkees Hot Sauce mixed with melted butter, etc. Anyone have any good ideas? We love 'em pretty warm out here (caliente!) Appreciate your guidance as usual!! Big Murth

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I've had rave reviews lately by doing the following:[p]Prepare a simple roux with a load of unsalted butter and some flour. Add to this a large amount of Franks Red Hot (or whatever mild hot sauce you have on hand) and some fresh garlic and let simmer for 20 minutes or so. I'm also starting to play around with the addition of some fresh herbs at this stage of the game. At some point during the simmer, I like to add several drops of Dave's Insanity Sauce to kick up the heat. This can be substituted with whatever insanely hot sauce you have on hand or, perhaps even better, some real habanero peppers.[p]This simple sauce has drawn rave reviews lately. Basically, the more butter the better it tastes. The more flour the thicker it will be. The more Dave's (or other uber-hot element), the more you will feel the heat.[p]My recipe was based on this one from foodtv.com and some conversations with Jobu. Looking back, it's very close to the one on foodtv.com with the differences being I've been leaving out the champagne vinegar lately since the Franks already has a lot of vinegar, I've been upping the butter amounts, and I've been toying with some fresh herbs (whatever I have on hand). Also, the Dave's Insanity sauce gives it that oh so needed kick (if you follow the recipe linked above, you will be disappointed by the heat level).[p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Just as an addition, Jobu has mastered, IMHO, the proper butter/heat/texture balance in a wing sauce. I think he uses that habanero 750 as his uber-hot element. I've had the Wing Time super hot sauce several times. It's very good, but using the simple method above you will make something very close to or even better. The great part is it's so simple to do and you will no longer have to rely on a store bought brand. Also, if you find the right herb or extra spice combo, I bet you'll be able to top the flavor from the store bought stuff. Finally, with Dave's Insanity or Hab 750 or whatever, you'll definitely be able to top the heat level of Wing Time (which is pretty hot itself...).[p]Good luck and hope some of this helps,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Last one...[p]Here are two pics of some I recently cooked using ChefRD's breading technique. This technique adds some delicious crunchy pieces on the outside similar to the ones you get from deep frying...[p]after.jpg[p]afterwbeer3.jpg[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Big Murth
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Hey, thanks for the "hot" info...and so fast! I just was at the store and picked up a bottle of the Crystal brand Louisiana Hot Sauce, and I like trying some extra flavors/herbs, the garlic, etc. Any minimum ratios on butter to sauce? Thanks again.

• Carolina Pirate
    Options
    Cornfed,
    A roux based sauce for wings is genious! I'm going to start working on a recipe myself.

• Big Murth
    Options
    carolina pirate,
    I can tell you Captain, that the roux based sauce came out great. Definitely check it out---not quite as easy as picking up a bottle off your grocer's shelf....but you can make it any way you like it, and it's worth it!! All our thanks again to Cornfed for the timely post this afternoon.
    The wings were delicious!! Big Murth.

• Cornfed
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I've always loved hot sauce and buffalo wing sauce but never knew how to make the transition from one to the other. Turns out it is so simple through the simple roux. You end up with awesome texture, personalized spices and seasonings, and heat "to taste." As for the butter to hot sauce ratio, I stink at keeping measurements. I usually add two or three heaping tablespoons of butter and then about 15 ounces of Franks (guessing since I know it's a little more than half of a 22 ounce bottle...). After this, I add more of one or the other to taste. I'm planning on starting to keep better measurements for a more scientific cook, but hey, we're talking wings here! How scientific do you really want to make things?!?[p]Enjoy,
    Cornfed

• Bobby Que
    Bobby Que Posts: 50
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Classic Buffalo wing sauce is butter and hot sauce- a stick of butter melted, and enough hot sauce to get the degree of fire you like (I use Texas Pete's hot sauce, but there are lots of others). Less wings there are, the less butter you use for the base. Once the wings are done, I put them in a bowl with the sauce and gnaw them immediately. Yum!!!