Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guava Barbecue Sauce

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was marooned in a waiting room the other day, and in the Feb. '07 issue of More (magazine) there was a story about a Colombian chef/restauranteur in Miami. Among other things the story included a few of her recipes, and Guava Barbecue Sauce was among them. I made a batch for use on this past weekend's-tri tip. Predictably it was quite sweet. I post it here knowing that some folks like sweet sauces.[p]Ken[p]Guava Barbecue Sauce
(makes 1.25 cups)[p]3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 yellow onions, medium, chopped
6 ounces guava paste, cut into chunks
1.5 teaspoons tomato paste
0.25 cup brown sugar
2 ounces star anise
0.5 ground allspice
0.25 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1.5 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon dark rum[p]Sautee onions in vegetable oil just until soft. Add guava paste, tomato paste, sugar, star anise, allspice, curry powder, and vinegar. Simmer gently about 15 minutes (until guava paste has melted).[p]Remove from heat and cool slightly. Discard star anise and put in blender. Add lime juice and rum; puree until smooth.[p]NOTES:
I doubled the amount of lime juice; and if I make this again will add the zest of one lime.[p]After initial tasting, I added 0.5 teaspoon chipotle powder.

Comments