Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best setup for ABT's?

Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Deetwood,
    I go direct with a raised grid with a temp about 325. Good luck, Tom

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Deetwood,
    I've tried it direct-lower grid, direct-upper grid, indirect and most recently, in a skillet. I can't say one is better than the other but I usually do them direct and they turn out great. Spring Hen likes 'em direct. Here they are in the skillet.[p]ABTsintheskillet24-15-07.jpg[p]I think it depends on my mood at the time. Direct gives me something to do - turning them frequently, while indirect forces me to just sit around and wait. I hate waiting. The skillet batch was just to help season the skillet but the ABT's were so good I may do it again.[p]Spring "ABT's For Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner and Snack" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Deetwood,
    I never do them direct......All that bacon fat dripping in the fire creates a foul-smelling smoke that affects the taste of the ABT's. I've done thousands of these in my life and indirect is the way to go. Either put a drip pan under them or aluminum foil. And cook them at 350 degrees with some smoke, either from hickory or apple, or both.

• Spring Chicken,
    thats an idea! the abts will still be getting
    smoke, and ceramics -heat, and the bonus will
    be --frying in the bacon fat. must try it :-)
    best regards
    thorsten denmark

• SouthOfI10
    SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
    DSC00425.jpg
    <p />egret,
    Ditto the indirect method. I use foil on the plate setter to catch the drippings. Dang, now I want some ABTs....

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Deetwood,
    We do them direct on a raised grid at about 325-350 with the cheese side down for about 20 minutes then turn for the remainder of time.
    We love the smoke flavor the bacon drippings give off.