Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another spare rib question.

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all,[p]Just curious.[p]I just picked up a couple of slabs of pork ribs for tomorrow, and as I was about to trim them, 'ala St. Louis, I wondered: Does anyone do them whole? Are they too thick with the skirt meat still on to cook evenly? To much bone in the trimmings/tips? [p]Any info much appreciated.[p]gdenby

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    gdenby,
    You can absolutely do em whole..or right outta the package....the ends with all of the joints aint as easy eatin as the trimmed ribs..but its all good eatin just the same...and most people that do trim them cook the trimmings right along with the ribs...its more of an appearance thing than anything else.[p]Wess

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    1f1724ff.jpg
    <p />gdenby,[p]Full slabs of belly ribs are where it's at, old skool barbecue. But you need some room and more importantly, some time. A lot of time. And some patience. Trimming them down to a rack lets you cook them in 5 or 6 hours and gives you some snacks along the way. It's better to start this way, then barbecue a whole slab later on.[p]2153d794.jpg[p]Follow the link and look in the PORK section for a how-to on preparing these ribs.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Click Here[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SouthOfI10
    SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
    Options
    DSC00745.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    Yeah, but if you don't cut them up into St. Louis, what do you snack on whilst cooking???

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    gentlemen,[p]Thanks for the advice. As I was trimming the first slab down, my wife said the kids probably wouldn't be around. So I'll keep one untrimmed, don't need to cook it tomorrow, and try that next. In this case, I expect more's better.[p]gdenby

• thirdeye
    Options
    SouthOfI10,[p]Whatever you have on your other Egg.[p]BTW, Those ribs are just the way I like them. 8c5ca778.gif[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• SouthOfI10
    SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the help in cutting them!

• WessB
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I used your website instructions the last time I did spares...Thanks for posting it..[p]Wess

• thirdeye
    Options
    WessB,[p]Aw geez, you are welcome. Cutting ribs is of those things on the "do it once, and you got it" list. Do it again and it's better.[p]What are you cookin' tonight?[p]~thiredeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• WessB
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Actually just had carry out pizza....been a busy week...and I still have a tough time finding the right spot to trim dem ribs...can run the fingers down and find the gaps/joints, but still fight with it at the skinny end..one of these days..that said we have done baby backs almost every time...just now starting to appreciate the flavor and texture of spares..[p]Wess

• thirdeye
    Options
    WessB,[p]Well, at least you have access to pizza that is worthy of carry out. I don't.[p]Mrs t is on a road trip and I have a $5 bill invested in drumsticks doing a test cook. [p]DSC02044a.jpg[p]For insurance I bought a side of salmon and some mussels, but they may have to stay on ice till after work tomorrow.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    gdenby,
    When I do a whole slab, I take a knife or poultry shears and cut down through the thick side. Kinda like you are cutting up a finished slab only stop cutting before you reach the rib bones. It will look like a slab with a bunch of fingers on the thick end. This will help get the thick side done before you overcook the rib side.