Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Once you have a BGE steak, there is no substitute...

Options
Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in Las Vegas for a convention, and staying at the Circus Circus where they have a reputed steakhouse called (surprise, surprise) The Steakhouse. Everyone says it is really good, so I thought I would give it a try.[p]I was there for the opening since 5 pm here is my normal 8 pm - well past my dinner time. I got sat adjacent the grill - which I though was a treat as I could see all the meat go on the grill and watch (I was by myself so I didn't have any of that annoying chit-chat to disturb my experience). All I could do is sit there and drool at the sight of the thick dry-aged steaks hitting the cast iron grill over the glowing hot mesquite charcoals with flames a-dancing. The first thing I noticed was that he was doing them TRex style - tossing them on the fire to sear, then popping them into a commercial oven to roast. I was one of the first to order, so when I saw that first strip loin hit the grill I knew it was mine.[p]What a disappointment. I'm sure the strip was a perfect '10' in most people's books, but after 10 months of TRexing steaks on my BGE I found it disappointing, especially given the cost (I can get almost 4 dry-aged strips for the price I paid). The two things that were the most notably missing where the DP Raising the Steaks rub I have evidently become addicted to and the smoke flavour from the Mesquite wood chips I toss on my coals.[p]So I have just confirmed what other people have noted on this forum - once you have a BGE steak, anything else will disappoint. [p]Ottawa_egger[p]