Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My BGE is about a year old and the gasket is really thin. How often should you replace it and where would you get the items from to do the right job?[p]Thanks, Frank

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Franco,
    I've had my egg for over 4 years and I still have my original gaskets and they are still working for me.
    Once when the top was open the upper gasket was overheated and fell down and it looked like the gaskets were toast , but after the top was closed the gaskets must have fused themselves back to the lid, cause now they are o.k.
    Its been 4+ years, with my original gaskets. But remember your MMV :)
    later,
    ChefRD

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Franco,[p]I replaced mine yesterday ... peice of cake! My egg is two years old and get used very often. When I had a gassy, I had to replace innards every year or so. If a gasket is all of the maintenance I have to do, I love my egg that much more![p]Smokey
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Franco, with normal use BGE suggests that replacement would be once every two years on a average.
    They have a replacement kit if you wish to use the original gasket material. 1 800 939 EGGS. Its self adhesive. I would suggest a good cleaning of the old surface after scraping the residule gasket with paper towels wet with denatured alchohol. I did this a few weeks ago with my large and it cleaned rather nicely. Takes a bit of rubbing but you will get a nice dry surface.
    Good luck
    Char-Woody[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Franco,
    If you do replace your gasket, 3M makes a 'Paint and Rust Remover' drill attachment that is very good at getting the residual stuff off the rims.
    JimW

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Franco, I used a high temperature flat rope gasket to replace mine. Try this site and type in 'Stove Gasket' in the search. The Rutland Gasket Kit will show up.

[ul][li]Aubuchon Hardware - Gasket Material[/ul]