Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recepies for fatties or rolled flank steak

Options
Arkansas Egg
Arkansas Egg Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to mix things up a bit on the BGE. I am doing okay with chicken, brisket, pulled pork, etc. I have interested in trying the "fatties" or a rolled flank steak with some good stuff in side. Any suggestions or links to recipies? Many thanks.[p]Pete

Comments

• smuttt
    smuttt Posts: 14
    Options
    Arkansas Egg,[p] I have done some fatties with pepperoni, hot peppers, and cheese. Have done another with canadian bacon in the middle. You can really use just about anything you have a taste for in the middle.[p]
  • Arkansas Egg
    Options
    smuttt,
    What do you use for the outside??? I can only find pictures on the forum. Is is ground beef or what? Forgive the ignorance. What about cooking temps and time??[p]

• smuttt
    smuttt Posts: 14
    Options
    arkansas egg,
    Use your favorite seasoning or rub(s), at 225 till int. temp is 170.

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Arkansas Egg,
    Here is a rolled flank recipe from our own Mad Max:
    Flank Steak Roll[p]Posted by mad max beyond eggdome on April 04, 2005 at 09:32:19:[p]In Reply to: New ideas ... tests posted by Smokey on April 03, 2005 at 19:25:36:[p]Smokey,
    another good stuffing may be the pancetta/mushroom from the emeril stuffed tenderloin. ..[p]1/4 pound pancetta or bacon, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped shallots
    3 tablespoons minced celery
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    4 ounces baby chanterelle mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons minced green onions
    2 tablespoons dry white wine
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves[p]In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook,
    stirring, until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
    Drain off all but 2 teaspoons of fat from the pan. Add the shallots and celery and cook, stirring,
    until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms
    and a pinch each of salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid, 3 to 4
    minutes. Add the green onions and stir. Add the wine, increase the heat, and cook until it has
    nearly all evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the parsley and stir. Remove from the heat, stir in
    the cooked pancetta, and let cool.[p]this stuff tastes great. . .i've used it in stuffed tenderloins, on pizza, or as a side with trex'd
    steaks... chuck used it as a filling for his stromboli. . ..really good stuff with lots of uses. ..
    can't imagine it wouldn't be great in a flank steak roll. . . [p]Here is another:
    ROLLED FLANK STEAK[p]1 good sized flank steak, butterflied and marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herbs de provence. .
    3 yellow/orange peppers - roasted and peeled (if you have never done this, see below)
    about 1/3 pound thinly sliced prociutto
    basil
    parmegan cheese (canned shaker fresh grated variety)[p]lay out the marinated butterflied flank steak, cover evenly with a layer of the prociutto. . .
    spread the roasted peppers along one long edge (they should cover about 1/4 - 1/3 of the steak..
    sprinkle liberally with the basil and parmegan cheese. . .
    roll tightly in a log (you may need to use some tooth picks to hold them, i don't). ...
    lay them in a pan (i used a big ceramic dish
    which worked quite well in the egg). .
    or do them on a grid set over inverted plate setter. . ..drizzle some of the left over marinade on them. . .
    cook for about 45 minutes at 375 - 400 dome temp for medium. ..slice them into thin rolls. .
    .makes a nice presentation. .. the recipe originally calls for them to be served at room temps,
    we like them warmer. . .your choice. [p]NOTES about butterflied flank steak and roasted peppers[p]1. you can ask your butcher to butterfly the flank steak or you can do it yourself. ..
    lay the flank steak flat, using a long knife to slice the steak into two thin halves be keeping
    the knife parallel to the cutting board (depending on your pan/dish, you can leave it in one big
    flat piece or slice completely through it and have two pieces (two are easier to work with into two
    small rolls). .. it is also easier to slice through if
    you put the steak flat in the freezer for about a half an hour so that it is a little 'stiff'. . .[p]2. if you haven't peeled peppers before, you cut them into flat slices, put them skin side up in
    the broiler until they are black and burning on top. . .then pull them off and immediately put
    them into a large zip-lock baggie for at least 15 minutes. .. pull them out and the skins will
    peal right off leaving you with lovely soft pepper pieces. .. [p]Here is a link to thirdeye's fattie page.
    Regards, Bob[p][p]

[ul][li]~thirdeye's fatties page[/ul]
  • arkansas egg,[p]
    I think you use a roll of sausage...at least that's what my translation was. A roll of Jimmy Dean will do the trick. Carefully open it and "squirt" it out, so it maintains its shape. You can cut it open and stuff it with whatever. I got the Jimmy Dean with Maple syrup and tried to inject it with even more maple syrup. Turned out pretty good. The link below might help, just make sure you have a drip pan so the fat does not cause a flare up.

[ul][li]http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69109&sid=ca93bccdb8aeec969e7ededca5fb81e9[/ul]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    101_0422.jpg
    <p />arkansas egg,
    here is the one i did yesterday i used carmelized onion and jalapeno peppers, dizzy pig tsunami spin and a little cheese, rolled it up and dusted outside with tsunami spin indirect @235 until 170 internal. but this is something that you can't mess up as long as you get it to 170 internal.
    happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]Fattie's101[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Arkansas Egg
    Options
    bobbyb,
    That is great info! Thanks. I knew it was out there somewhere.[p]

• Arkansas Egg
    Options
    BENTE,
    THanks, Looks great. What did you use for the meat around the peppers. Sausage of some sort??

• Arkansas Egg
    Options
    GreenvileSC EggHead,[p]Thanks!! Good info. I appreciate your response.[p]

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Arkansas Egg,
    just regular jimmy dean sausage. i have used the maple as well. i have also took bratworst and itialian sausage mixed them together. man the possibilities are endless...
    just make sure whatever kind of meat you use (or mix into) make sure you get it hot enough to kill all the nasties which may leave you counting bathroom tiles for the 15th time in one day.
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb