Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whole american red snapper

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]Having a few friends over and have a real treat to put on the egg.[p]My buddy is bringing a whole 10 pound american red snapper. I might need to cut the head off, just to fit on my large egg.[p]I am thinking about using olive oil and dizzy pig (one side jamacin fire walk and one side raging river).[p]Do you think indirect would be the way to go on a fish this large.[p]Any advice or suggestions.[p]Thank you!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    citrus,[p]Snapper is a somewhat mild meat. De-scale it, Filet it. If you have an Alder Plank use that. Otherwise indirect is good. Cook skin down till the meat flakes. The two rubs are good.
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    citrus,[p]Disclaimer: I enjoy cooking whole fish, but I have never cooked anything as large as a 10 lb. snapper.[p]Having said that, I do think you should cook a fish this large indirect. I often like to cook this kind of fish at 425-450 degrees. However, given the size I would recommend reducing the temperature a little bit. Something in the 375 degree range would be my suggestion.[p]The most important thing is to cook the fish to a high enough internal temperature without overcooking it. Snapper is probably good at 145, so that is your target. You need to have a probe in the fish to monitor it. Even a 10 lb. fish will not rise much after removing from the heat, so don't take it off much before 145.[p]Please report your results here. I would love to know how it turns out. Good luck!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Celtic Wolf,[p]That is sound advice. [p]When cooking indirect we jokingly refer to the "aluminum plank" method. Basically making a shallow boat with 1/2" sides out of a triple layer of foil. It holds the juices, especially if there is any flavored butter basting going on AND the foil makes a big fillet easy to slide onto a platter without risking breakage by using tongs or a spatula.[p]citrus, watch the flesh and once is goes opaque, keep a keen eye on it. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    citrus,[p]The kosher salt encrusted method is kind of cool. It's even on the box right now. I've had huge success with that means as it relates to whole fish. Stuff the inside with various herbs and citrus fruits. Serve wiah a mango, cilantro. red onion, sourwood honey and lime salsa[p]David Lee

• Thank you all for responding so quick last night![p]I cooked it indirect at 375 deg untill internal temp got to 140.[p]Used dizzy pig/ Jamaican Firewalk with Olive Oil.[p]Results where outstanding!!![p]The tip of using a tin foil boat helped out alot also.[p]Happy Sunday!