Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

When do I start Pullin' my Pork

JethroJethro Posts: 495
edited 4:27AM in EggHead Forum
I am makin another attempt at pulled pork and I think so far I gots it right. Put some rub on a 6.5 lb Boston Butt followed by a mustard slather Saturday night. Threw it into the Egg @ 4:30 yestereday with the Egg at about 150º and about 4 decent soaked chunks of hickory. The Egg did get up to about 300º for maybe an hour, but I kept it at 250º or less the rest of the time.[p]Got up this morning @ 9:30 and the Egg was @ 200º. I've kicked her back up to about 220º, the butt is sittin @ about 175º and things smell oh so wonderful. So at what meat temp do I start pullin 190º, 200º? Do I let it rest for a while after takin it off the Egg or just start pullin?[p]Thanx,
Jethro[p]Man I am looking forward to this!

·

Comments

• TurkeyTurkey Posts: 38
    Jethro,[p]Being a man of experience in cookin pulled pork I'll take a stab at your question. My first one just came off this morning.[p]I took mine off at 200° based on all that I have read here. I also think you could safely ramp your temp up to about 250-275° and speed things up a tad.[p]After you take it off the egg wrap in foil and let it rest for about an hour before pulling. I put mine in a small soft cooler cause I want to wait a few hours before pulling.[p]Hope this helps and other chime in(I'm sure they will),[p]Mark
    ·
  • PainterPainter Posts: 464
    Turkey,--- You're already a pro from what I can see,Just keep helping others till it's time to pull your dinner.hehe
    Good Cookin to ya
    Painter

·
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    Jethro,[p]When the internal temp hits 185 or so, stick a fork in it. If the fork twists easily, it's done. Every butt has its own personality and timetable, and the particulars of the cook will affect finished temp as well; some are fork-twistable at 180, some 200.[p]Let the butt rest for about 20 minutes before you pull. This allows the juices to redistribute, and there's less chance you'll burn your fingers![p]Enjoy it - I served an 8 pounder to 4 adults and 2 picky kids last night, and there's barely enough left for lunch.[p]Cathy
    ·
  • MopMop Posts: 496
    Cat, do you sometimes find that a 180º butt can pull as easily as a 200º butt depending on the actual butt?[p]Your right when you say they all are different!, there is that right time and temp when you know it`s "pull time" for sure, it`s just like a bowl of jelly isn`t it....
    nothing better![p]Mop!

·
    Mop,[p]I often do 24-hour butts that never go over 165 internal; I keep the Egg temp low enough to hold the butt in that range where collagen and fat are changing state from solid to liquid. It's an approach favored by a lot of old-time Q folk. [p]The results are excellent - not better than the ordinary way, but certainly on a par with. And sometimes it's more convenient to cook for 24 hours than 18. Works for me, anyway![p]Cathy[p]

·
    Cat, do you pull the pork at that temp or slice it?[p]Mop!

·
    Mop,[p]It pulls like a dream. [p]Cathy
    ·
    Cat, hmm, I`ll have to try that sometime, thanks!
    Mop!

·
  • JethroJethro Posts: 495
    Jethro,[p]Thanx, all came out great I think I am getting the idea on this pulled pork, finally![p]Thanx Again,
    Jethro

·