Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first overnight butt..........

Options
Eggin in Peoria
Eggin in Peoria Posts: 262
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to try my first overnighter with a 9# pork butt. It's currently slathered in mustard and some dizzy pig rub awaiting the grill to be ready. Wish me luck (and for the rain/snow to stay south)[p]Tim

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria, LOL - kinda like pledge night or an all night vigil - it's best to sleep lightly and keep one eye open. You MAY see the light of dawn coming one hour at a time if you were like my first couple overnighters. Don't forget that wiggle rod!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    RRP,
    thanks! check email.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,
    Take RRP`S suggestion on the wiggle rod.Been cooking buts etc. for some time (about five years) and last night was the first time I had to do the wiggle rod thing.That is a coat hanger bent at a 90 degree angle to make the the excess ash deposit on the grate to fall out.Which means more air flow.The lump that I used had a lot of ash buld up which I never had before.Get to know how the pros and cons of the lump that you use.In most cases if the lump is stacked in the proper manner you will not have a problem.LOL.

• bsfd806
    bsfd806 Posts: 24
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,
    Good Luck to ya! You will enjoy every bite of it I'm sure. If your like me, you'll never want pork BBQ anywhere else! It will be well worth the lost sleep![p]

• Eggin in Peoria, My first over nighter with new butt I make sure to carry my wiggle rod. It seems to work out better that way. In the morning you will be happy you had it. The biggest thing is to make sure you watch the temp and don’t over heat it before you are ready.