Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Jerky recipe as promised

MickeyTMickeyT Posts: 607
edited 2:02PM in EggHead Forum
Mornin,[p]6:05 am in Chicago. Just got done putting on NB's 2001 brisket.[p]The recipe for the hot and sweet jerky is below:[p][p]1.5 c soy sauce
3/4 c worcestershire sauce
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c steak sauce
2 big cloves garlic (garlic press)
1 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. onion powder
1/2 c honey
10 pcs. pickled ginger
>>>>Here comes the hot stuff>>>>
3 tbs. szechuan sauce (spicy)
1/3 c thai chili garlic paste
1/3 c spicy hot kung pau sauce
1/3 c hoisin sauce
4 tbs. homemade serano pepper flakes
4 tbs. fresh ground pepper[p]I cut the brisket thicker this time and what a difference that makes.
Let humpty idle at 140/150 for 3 hours then let it get to 200 for the remainder of the time. Total cooking time was only 4.5 hours.[p]I like hot stuff so if you try this recipe be prepared for a little zing. I think it could be hotter.[p]I also marinated it for 2 full days.[p]Enjoy![p]Mick

·

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    MickeyT., thanks for posting the recipe - I think I'll give it a try next weekend. :~}

·
  • mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    MickeyT.,
    You said you cut the brisket thicker. How thick is..thicker? The only problem I've had when I've tried jerky a little thicker is it doesn't ever get that really dry, chewy texture. Particularly shorter cooking times like you have here. Can you fill me in?[p]Thanks.[p]MShark

·
  • TurkeyTurkey Posts: 38
    MickeyT.,[p]Do you cut it with or against the grain?[p]Mark
    ·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    They can be chewy or harder. Personal preference prevails. Usually after 3 hours you can sample and take off when they reach your optimums. I just finished making 10-12 lbs of it.
    C~W

·
  • MickeyTMickeyT Posts: 607
    Turkey,[p]I like to eat my jerky in strips kinda like string cheese, so I cut it with the grain.[p]Mick

·
    Molly,[p]I guess the jerkey was cut about 3/16" instead of 1/8". I know it doesn't sound like much but it really is the best jerky I've cooked. I took a bunch with me this morning to share with my fishin' buddies and they really enjoyed it.[p]Mick[p]
    ·
    Char-Woody,[p]How do you lay your jerky out for 10-12 lbs?????[p]Must be one big eg................:>)[p]MT

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MickeyT., only way is to hang it....I did two batches..:-)

·