Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket advice request

Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna cook my first ever brisket next weekend, probably with the Guava wood I will be bringing back from my US biz trip. I'm gonna put in my order tomorrow for my meat chunk, and am wondering if it is better to go for a dry-aged brisket from my choice butcher, or just get a cheap brisket from the supermarket? Would there be an improvement in the end product to justify the additional cost, or would a dry-aged brisket result in a worse end product as a result of the water evaporation?[p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Ottawa_egger,[p]That is a new one on me. Did the butcher have a recommended cooking method for a "dry aged brisket"?
    And, what was the price per pound?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Ottawa_egger,
    I've always cooked the cryovac'd ones from the supermarket and they turn out great when I cook it right :>)[p]H

• guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    4512373986.gif
    <p />Ottawa_egger,[p]Do you know if the room service will bring up the guava wood with dinner? LOL! That would be funny.[p]I've only done one brisket so far. Man it lasts so we keep trying new ways to eat it. My wife mixed some taters, sweet red peppers, onions chopped brisket, seasoning and a dab of bbq sauce and heated in the old cast iron skillet. Man that was good!
    I maed the picture a link so you don't have to look at what I had for dinner.[p]Aloha![p]Greg

[ul][li]the big picture![/ul]
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Ottawa_egger, since it is your first shot at brisket, I'd get a choice grade 5-6 pound flat or a 11-12 pound packer. Pick one that is more uniform in thickness, well as best you can. Also try to pick one with a fat flat end, well again best you can. Keep the fat cap on the onside but trim the other side clean of fat and rub it up all over.[p]Cook indirect, raised grid, 225 degrees or so with fat cap down. Once it pushes through the plateau, you can foil with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of beef broth or without the broth. Or, just let it finish unfoiled to 195-200 degrees. If you foil, the bark will soften but the meat should be juicer. The foil juices make a nice dipping sauce. [p]If you buy the packer, chances are the flat side will finish first, and the point (fat end) will need to go back in the egg. Some will cut the point into chunks for burnt ends. I separate it from the flat and grind it raw for hamburgers. Check the link on who to trim a brisket. [p]Dang, now I'm thinking briskets again...T

[ul][li]http://www.azbbqa.com/articles/brisket-trim.htm[/ul]
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • thirdeye,[p]Cryovac'd brisket at a reputable butcher goes for $5/lb, organic, dry-aged AAA (Cdn equivalent to USDA prime) goes for $11-13/lb.[p]I'm surprised at his brisket price quote. He sells strip loins and ribeyes from the same carcass for $12/lb and $13/lb respectively. Boggles the mind actually - why buy a brisket when you can get prime cuts for the same price? One thing I know was that the steaks are out of this world!!!
    [ul][li]Google's cached link for steak pics since the posting is deleted from the BGE forum[/ul]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    guava greg,
    where did you get those napkin rings? are they guava wood? i have never seen guava wood (sorry i know you must use it alot but i haven't)
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Ottawa_egger,[p]Dumouchel meats has some frozen ones in brine. They bring them in at Christmas. I have been debating tryng one. They are on Donald street in Vanier. I would call first to make sure.[p]CB
  • guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    BENTE,[p]We got them in France when we were there 17 years ago for our honeymoon. I'm not sure what they are made of. I'd like to make them but too hard make without a proper woodworking shop. :([p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • Ottawa_egger,[p]Wish I could help you on this one. I have done only one brisket in the five or six years I have had the egg and it was the worst thing I have done on the egg. Should have called it beef jerky and it would have been ok. I bought the whole brisket at butcher shop in Orleans. It looked fine to me, just came out like shoe leather. Thank god I have cooked two pork butts at the same time - they were a hit. I have had some great brisket at eggfest and in Barrie (done by DP North - with Chris and Kenny, if my memory serves my right) I will attempt another one of these days. I wish you luck and please let me know how it turns out. [p] Eggfest at your place???? I'm there. Just say when.... You may be surprised about how many eggers there are in the Ottawa area. Any thought about going to Waldorf in May. There are four of us from Ottawa heading down for this year. [p]Paul

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    guava greg,
    maybe lawn ranger will help us out wiht that
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    Ottawa_egger,[p]Ouch, that $11 price is hard to swallow. The $5 a pound is high for me too.[p]All of the prime briskets I've ever had were given to me. (One of my buddies family raises beef) They were very good, they did cook faster and I learned to use lower temps. I have tried the Wagyu briskets, and had similar results. With your choices, I might go for the lower priced one. Let us know what you decide.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    canadian bacon,[p]"Brined" as in corned?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~