Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I or Shouldn't I

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am strongly considering buying a BGE.
I'm married with three older kids (teens and early twenties)and we all have big appetites.
I'm torn between the Large or the new Extra Large egg.
The capacity and larger surface area of the extra large egg is very attractive but the weight of the lid and hinge ssystem are causes for concern.[p]Does any one have any feed back on the capacity of the Large or any input on the lid and hinge system of the Xtra Large[p]
Thanks[p]

Comments

• Rob Blanchflower,
    I cook for 5, including 3 teenagers, and the large does me just fine!!

• EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    Rob Blanchflower,[p]I say Large. The XL is great for entertaining but I don't think you'd use it as often. The Large accessories are cheaper and it uses less lump. You can do 3 7# pork roasts or 2+ whole chickens or a 15lb turkey or 10+ burgers on the large-that will hold ya over. You can always add a medium at a later date for smaller cooks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Rob Blanchflower,
    you should.
    large, too.[p]could easily do 30 pounds of pork butt.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Rob Blanchflower,
    Defininely buy one. I think the large would suit you nicely.[p]Good luck.[p]Mike

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Rob Blanchflower,
    Even with the size army you feed the large should be just fine - besides after you eat the food, do the dance, drink the kool-aide, learn the secret handshake you'll be convinced even more than what us diehards are telling you! Now, dive in the deep water with the rest of us!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    100_0808.jpg
    <p />Rob Blanchflower,
    looking at the 18 inch grid on the large is decieving, you can get a lot in there. first pic is a pork loin, squash casserole and potatoes. second pic is 2 8 pound brisket flats and 2 8 pound boneless pork butts. most of us that cook with the large have bought either a small or a second large as well, 2 eggs is better than one[p]2005012055.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Rob Blanchflower,[p]Go with the large. You will probably add a medium or small later. BTW, I have an XL and a mini. Like them just fine, but if I was starting out, the L would be the first I bought. Regardless of which one you buy, you will not regret it.

• FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Rob Blanchflower,large

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Rob Blanchflower, I'd get the large. By adding a second cooking grid to the large, you can almost equal the cooking surface of the xl grid. There are several methods used on this forum to add a second level to the large. [p]Just one guy's opinion! Tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Rob Blanchflower,
    Unless you want to feed your next door neighbors the large is fine.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Welcome to the Forum....This is a group of very compassionate 'EggHeads'....that believe strongly in this product...and that compassion comes from RESULTS.......As a smoker and a grill...there's none better.....[p]I think a large is plenty for a family like yours.....On a large....You can smoke 32 pounds of Boston Butt....or five Beer Can Chickens....or a 12 - 20lb. Prime Rib....or a 18 -20lb. Turkey....or a 18 - 20lb. ham.....in one session....Individually of course....And that will feed your troops.....[p]The XL is so big that...it's just really big and I've opted for two larges instead....And that's so I can do a myriad of cooks in one session.....[p]I love the BGE....but I won't beg anyone to buy one....You're an adult and can figure things for yourself....But you'll be glad you did if you do....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 35
    Rob Blanchflower,[p]I recently faced the same decision and ended up with the large. I think it was a good decision, the constant posts about problems with the XL spring assist is what steered me towards the L. I have cooked for parties (about 10 people) a couple of times now and I have not run short on capacity.[p]Just a warning: They are addictive...I have only had mine a few weeks and I already want another; not because of lack of capacity, but because the flexibility having two eggs offers.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Rob Blanchflower,[p]These feed my office of 20 people. Just look how lonely they are on my XL.. Unless you cater get a large[p]buttfinish.jpg
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Rob Blanchflower,
    If money is no object, I say get two extra larges just in case some of your new Egghead friends want to come stay a few days LOL.[p]Otherwise, the large is plenty, especially when we know full well that you will be want'n another Egg before long.[p]Spring "Layed A Large And A Small Egg" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Rob Blanchflower,
    I would buy the Large..... if you got extra money to burn get the small to go with it. That way you can do two simultaneous cooks at 2 differnt temps. For Example I like to do low and slow on the large ie. ribs, boston butt's etc. and like the option of grilling burgers or chicken on the small. If you have the itch for extra large consider the Large & small combo for its versatility for about the same price as an XL egg. Thats just my 2 cents worth of advice.[p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist