Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our first Pizza!

Options
Turkey
Turkey Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pizza.jpg
<p />We just finished eating our first BGE pizza and it was really good. I am not having much luck with mother nature these days. We had no rain for close to a month and now that I bought and egg it rains every night from 5-7pm.[p]I got out the umbrella and put humpty to work. We had olives, onions and leftover jerk chicken from our virgin voyage on this one. Gonna make a pepperoni one latter for lunch tomorrow with the leftover dough. Gonna throw some more lump on first though.[p]Had a little trouble getting the temp. up to around 550°. Might had been that I was using leftover lump from last nights steaks that cooked at 750° and charred most of the lump.[p]Mark

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Turkey,
    Your pizza looks great and I am starving. It's 102° outside, 98° inside, I'm having a vodka/soda and don't feel like cooking, please cook one for me. *smile*
    Congratulations on your cook.[p]New Bob

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Turkey,[p]Congrats on your success and nice to see you trusted a well worn pizza stone to take the honors of the first cook.[p]Your setup looks good. If you could add the cousin of the pizza stone you used under the one you have, start with fresher fuel, and control the cooking temp using the top only (bottom wide open), you are going to make much better than "really good".[p]Spin[p][p]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Turkey,
    My compliments to the chef or chefs! My first one sure didn't look that good! :-)))[p]Congratulations and keep up the good work! It took me months to work up enough courage to attempt one![p]Again, my compliments![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Turkey,
    Not to shine a dim light..but..my first was my best so far and I`ve done 4...but I`ll keep tryin..even the bad ones was good..[p]Wess

• ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Options
    Spin,[p]Could you please elaborate on this technique of keeping the bottom damper wide open and using the top to adjust temp? What cooks are appropriate for this technique?[p]CC
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]This is the vent settings I use for making pizza and bread. The use of a pizza stone and higher cooking temperatures (400+°F) tends to create a cooler spot in the airspace just above the center of the pizza stone. By controlling the temp using the top vent only, this cooler spot is eliminated. I find pizza and bread both cook more even this way.[p]Spin