Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Longest cooks?

Eggin in PeoriaEggin in Peoria Posts: 262
edited 7:34PM in EggHead Forum
what's the longest anyone has cooked before needing to add lump? I think I've seen prior posts in the 18-20 hour range. [p]

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 20,488
    Eggin in Peoria,
    with the old wicked good you could easily go 30, 40 if you wanted to and kept the temps down around 210/220. i would bet there are other lumps that could do this.

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Eggin in Peoria,
    I've cooked 20 hours and had at least 1/3 of the lump left....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Eggin in Peoria,
    trick answer...[p]i did a butt, followed immediately by a brisket, and it was 32 hours. now, understand i was a newbie (moreso than i am now) and i filled maybe an inch ABOVE the fire ring.[p]after those two cooks, i did a chicken (spatchcocked,1 hour at 375ish), a high temp sear of steaks, and something else i don't remember, before i added any new lump.[p]if you wanted, you could dump in the whole bag and cook for 40 hours lo and slo maybe. i think your ash would fill up though. after 32 i did get in there and stir up the ash between subsequent cooks, even if i didn't add new.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SigmoreSigmore Posts: 621
    Eggin in Peoria, 35 for me. No Guru.

• RRPRRP Posts: 20,006
    Eggin in Peoria, years back when he was posting on a regular basis I remember Elder Ward writing a long piece naming the items he was egging and temps he was running up and down and it was something like 34 hours and he swore by it.
    BTW Tim, did you see my salmon spread response?

L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • BYCBYC Posts: 358
    sigmore,[p]same here---i've gotten to where i only use the stoker or guru when i am running multiple cookers. there is a lot of pleasure in running an bge for 30 hours with just the elements..maybe they'll right one of those BUD jingles for us..

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC01884a.jpg
    <p />Eggin in Peoria,[p]Here is a picture of remaining lump after a 24 hour cook. I run out of things to cook before running out of lump. I thought some of the Wicked Good users got 30+ hours.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggin in Peoria,
    32-33 hours with a full load of wicked good in my large. Minimal wind and warm temperatures - the egg was barely cracked open.[p]56 hours of continuous egging ... 4 butts followed by 2 briskets followed by 5 hamburgers followed by 4 steaks. Only reloaded 1 time.[p]Doug

• RRP,
    I saw the salmon post, looks tasty. Thanks. We always have leftovers. They have farm raised king for $9.95/lb at dixons.

• Eggin in Peoria,
    This pasy winter I once cooked some butts in well
    below freezing weather, turned out great. For experiment
    I let the fire continue, without food and without opening
    the lid again.
    After 36 hours from start, the temp started to come below
    Amazing I thought, in sub zero temparatures!
    best regards
    thorsten