Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning New Cast Iron Grate

Options
CampyMan
CampyMan Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a cast iron grate - I need to find out how you go about seasoning it before using for the first time. Thanks in advance[p]CampyMan

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    CampyMan, I just cooked a couple of steaks on mine. When it cooled down I put it back in the bag it came in. This is all I've ever done. I clean it of course when I heat it up the next time.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    CampyMan,
    all depends on how you intend to use it. I carefully seasoned mine three times before using, but then after a nuke temp cook that destroys the no stick skin like you are starting all over again. Now I'm on to my 3 or 4th year and I use it regularly but merely brush it or scrape it if need be and fire it up. The seasoning is a different kind of thing then your prized Lodge Dutch Oven IMO.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    CampyMan,[p]Mine is 4 years old and lives in the Egg. I never bothered to season it in the beginning knowing that once we started to use it it woud be fine. I scrape it just after the cook and once in a while I take it up to Nooclear temps just to fell good. Don't worry it'll be fine. Go cook.