Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We may still be full from Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean we’re not already looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner, too! Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First time doing Boston Butt Direct

SundownSundown Posts: 2,926
edited 7:22PM in EggHead Forum
Just put two Boston Butts (total 17 Lbs) on Mr. Egg two hours ago and I'm trying direct. No drip pizza stone or bricks. At the moment the dome temp is 200º dead on! Internal temp is already 80º. No memory left and I don't recall how quickly the internal temp rose the last few times I did Pulled Pork. Every time before I cooked indirect. I remember it will plateau out at about 160º and stay for a while. I know Mr. Egg will not let me down I just want to make sure I don't let him down. Please tell me I'm okay! Feeling quite needy are we?

:>) Carey

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sundown, Since your going low and slow, I wonder why your doing it direct. Its been done before, but I think you will have a drier roast. I usually don't recommend opening the dome during a low and slow cook because you will unbalance the fire burning and it will take a while to stabalize again. You may have to rotate a direct cook. Maybe once during the term. If you have a fire run away due to grease, you will not achieve what your looking for. My thoughts..

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,926
    Point well taken. I must have anticipated an answer like that because I had the stone, the v-rack and the drip pan standing by!
    Swop made! If I had "dry" PP I would have a family that would be kind but unforgiving. Likely take me out and shoot me. All of the other PP we have had off Mr. Big has been wonderfully moist and they are used to it now.
    Thanks a bunch. [p]Carey