Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brant's Butt - Cook it early and referigerate?

HarryHarry Posts: 58
edited 8:41PM in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on cooking Brant's Boston Butt (done it before and it's outstanding) but this time I want to bring it to work on Monday and serve some of the BBQ fans at lunch.[p]Since I never get it done exactly when I want, and planning for it to be done exactly at 7:00 am when I leave for work is problematic, my next thought is to cook it to be done Sunday evening. I would then pull it and put it in the refer until leaving for work, and then in the refer at work until lunch - then into the microwave at work.[p]Any better suggestions?
Thanks,
Harry

·

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Harry, your plan is a good one.. the smell of smoked butt will fill the office area. For my home use, I usually chop it and mix it with sauce then heat and put on buns..Use a side slaw is good with it. Along with chips and baked beans. Everyone to their own tastes!
    Cheers to ya...Char-Woody

·
  • BrantBrant Posts: 82
    Harry,[p]It takes me over a full half hour to pull a butt properly (I'm slow, and the sampling takes time!), so I wouldn't try to have it ready off the smoker in the morning before work unless I wanted to be late. Your Sunday evening plan is a good one. The only potential problem is that microwaving is not the best way to reheat pulled pork, but I doubt you have a real oven to use at work, so it will have to do. I always get best results with a microwave if I add some BBQ sauce to the meat to keep it moist, and heat one or two servings at a time.[p]Enjoy, and impress your co-workers with your outdoor cooking skills![p]Brant
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    Howdy Brant. Always good to hear from you. I agree with you that nuking PP is acceptable, but not the best way to reheat. Just wanted to mention that it heats VERY quickly in the microwave, even on 40% power. Drizzling some water (or like you mention..Q Sauce) helps, and heat for a short time, then check it. It really only needs to be warm, and nuking too much seems to impart a funky flavor.[p]cheers atcha, Brant.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • HarryHarry Posts: 58
    Thank you, all
    This is helpful, especially the part about not nuking it too much. I probably would have screwed up a good BBQ if I hadn't read this.[p]There are a couple of BBQ places near the office that a group of us get take out from every week. (We get take out because there isn't any place to sit. These are realy country places.)<g> I've commented before that "my BGE does better than this" so they finally told me to put up or shut up. Sure don't want to ruin it.[p]Thanks again,
    Harry

·