Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My First Tri-Tip

HermHerm Posts: 206
edited 2:13PM in EggHead Forum
Picked up my first tri-tip at Trader Joe's. Roast then sear seems to be the most popular way. Rub with Cow Lick? Anybody try the hot-tub method with a tri-tip?[p]

Comments

• egginatoregginator Posts: 569
    Herm,[p]I have and really like it -- Faster cook and more uniform consistency in the center. I like T-rex method best, but since I am isually cooking potatoes with them, I end up grilling direct at 400 with the spuds on a elevated grid. EVOO, Kosher and RTS or Cowlick - either way.[p]Ed
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    tri_tip800.jpg
    <p />Herm,
    I like the slow roast at 250 till its about 125, bring it off the egg to rest, then let the egg get to sear temps then sear it up. This does allow you some time to finish other food prep in case things get behind. You can sear anytime up to 30 minutes once it's off the slow cook side.

• Herm,[p]Take a look at the below link. It is what I used at the Eggs-by-the-Bay last year. No on complained after the group ate 8 of them. I had no leftovers to take home.
    [ul][li]Santa Maria Style Tri-tip[/ul]
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    M is me. Sometimes I screw up.

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    M,[p] I complained.. [p] I complained I was dayum stupid not to have tried Tri-Tip before that day.
  • HermHerm Posts: 206
    M,
    Thanks Rich. Looks great. I can't wait for dinner!

• Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Herm,
    If you are on the Central Coast of California, what time do we eat?

• HermHerm Posts: 206
    Morro Bay Rich,
    Couldn't be further from you. Central coast of Massachusetts, although I have been to Morro Bay and loved it. Very east coast, almost Maine like. Very un-California.[p]Anyway, just finished dinner. The tri-tip came out amazing. Really enjoyed it. [p]Cheers!