Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Leap of Faith with my first Butt

ThrillThrill Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]After a year of smoking ribs, pork chops, steak, turkeys and the like, I believe I am ready to take the leap into the chasm of the 20-hour smoke.[p]This morning, I rubbed up a 7lb Boston Butt with MikeO's EggFest rub (thanks MikeO) and some yellow mustard. I stuck it back in the fridge, anxious to get it on the Egg tonight.[p]Let me make sure I got it right: To have it ready for 7pm Friday night, I'm putting it on at 10pm tonight with some hickory chips. Set the Egg to 225-250, and let her ride for about 20 hours, at which point the butt will be "fork tender" or 200* internal. Take it off the Egg and wrap in foil til the poker buddies arrive. Pull the pork and watch it disappear in 30 minutes or less.[p]One question. How do you determine if a butt is "fork tender"?[p]Thanks to all that provided info to this forum/site that allowed me to actually think I could do this.[p]I'll provide an update with the results.[p]Thrill

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,243
    Thrill,
    You will be able to easily twist a fork in it. Or grab the bone and twist it. It should slide right out. [p]I can tell just by sliding the polder probe in and out. It should slide in and out with little or no resistence.[p]Sounds like a plan! Watch your internal temps though, the 7.5 pound butt I did a couple days ago finished in 12 hours. That is the exception rather than the norm though.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • TurkeyTurkey Posts: 38
    Thrill,[p]Where did you find that rub recipe. I can 't seem to find it on the website. Can you please direct me to the proper URL or email it to me? I have all the fixins for J.J.'s rub and want to do two Butts this weekend to compare two rubs.[p]Thanks
  • ThrillThrill Posts: 32
    Turkey,[p]You can find it by selecting the "Submitted Recipes" link at the top of the forum page. Once there, select the "EggFest Butt Rub" in the sauces section. I have heard rave reviews of this rub, but this is my first smoke with it, too.[p]Below is a shortcut straight to the rub recipe (at least if I do this right)[p]Good luck,[p]Thrill
    [ul][li]Eggfest Butt Rub[/ul]
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Thrill,
    I just finished 3 at once..you can trust an internal temp of 200°...I let them rest for 20 - 30 minutes and put on the rubber gloves and just litterally squeezed..instant pulled pork....it was quite the site...BTW..mine took 26 hours but that was 3 of em[p]Wess

• JacketJacket Posts: 2
    I'll backup my buddy Thrill on this one. I was at the poker game and got the honor of partaking of Thrill butt (yikes that didn't sound right). The flavor was amazing.[p]Thrill recruited me into the BGE world. He help me shop for the Egg and even built my table. That is a true Egg Mentor. Thanks buddy![p]Jacket