Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke "Super Buzzard" Turkey Recipe

MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After years of debating on whether or not to buy an Egg, my wife bought me one for Christmas and we have been cooking on it every weekend and loving every minute of it. I have now been tasked to smoke a turkey for our Easter dinner and I came across the Smoke "Super Buzzard" Turkey recipe online here. This is going to be first big bird cook on the egg. I have been doing chickens using the "Plate Setter" upside down with the rack on top a drip pan sitting on the "Plate Setter". The chickens have been great! Would I be able to cook the turkey the same way as I have for the chicken or should I use the "Vertical Roaster" (which I have for the turkey)being it is my first big bird cook? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Mac,
    i like the turkey buzzard recipe, but the cooking temp on that recipe is too low, try it a 325-350 if you follow that recipe. mad max has a better recipe on the naked whiz site, talks about setup, cook, and gravey making, much better and easy to follow for a first turkey cook.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Mac,
    Got to agree with fishlessman, the mad max version is really great!

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    fishlessman,
    thanks for the info and thanks to orion11 as well. I may give mad max a shot. [p]thanks again, now I'm off to the store to pickup stuff to make my first Pizza on my egg.[p]