Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza... Cooking Instructions

flajokerflajoker Posts: 52
edited 9:58AM in EggHead Forum
Could someone please direct me to cooking instuctions on pizza. This will be my first attempt. How thick should crust be? Cooking Times? Cooking temp? Do I put stone in right away? Thanks for any help or links you can give.
·

Comments

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    flajoker,[p]Spin is our resident Pizza King and here's some info to get you started. [p]Good Luck[p]K~G

[ul][li]Pizza on the BGE[/ul]
    ·
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    flajoker,[p]You are in for some truly great eats. Pizza is one of the most rewarding cooks when using the Egg as a hearth oven.[p]BGE has introduced products since the posting of the cooking technique. The Plate setter replaces the 3 fire bricks very nicely. The BGE 14" pizza stone is as tough as the Egg. The posted technique works, however, I now prefer stacking two pizza stones on each other. This provides a more even (top) stone temp allowing multiple pizzas to be cooked with no adjustment to temp or cooking time. Using the plate setter with a pizza stone provides the same result.[p]Ask here for more help and info as their are some great pizza and breads cooks here. Feel free to email me.[p]Spin

·
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    flajoker,
    I Egged some fabulous pizza last weekend. Since I had Picky Eaters to serve, I had various toppings on hand along with fresh mozzarella, freshly grated romano cheese, and shredded fresh basil leaves. My setup was three thin firebricks with a BGE pizza stone on top. Temp stabilized about 500, which reduced somewhat when the pizza was added. I used thin crust on four 12-inch pizza pans. I lightly oiled the pans first. This is a departure from my usual cornmeal direct on the stone, and I did this because my husband loves a very thin and crispy crust. Each took only about 12 minutes; I cooked them assembly line fashion. They were absolutely perfect. Light brown crusts, beautifully melted cheese. I can't even think about it now; my stomach's growling![p]Spin's expertise got me hooked on making Egg pizza; the variations came along in time.[p]Have fun! I can't say you'll NEVER order out again, but I can say that you'll never get a better pizza than right off the Egg.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

·