Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza... Cooking Instructions

Options
flajoker
flajoker Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could someone please direct me to cooking instuctions on pizza. This will be my first attempt. How thick should crust be? Cooking Times? Cooking temp? Do I put stone in right away? Thanks for any help or links you can give.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    flajoker,[p]Spin is our resident Pizza King and here's some info to get you started. [p]Good Luck[p]K~G

[ul][li]Pizza on the BGE[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    flajoker,[p]You are in for some truly great eats. Pizza is one of the most rewarding cooks when using the Egg as a hearth oven.[p]BGE has introduced products since the posting of the cooking technique. The Plate setter replaces the 3 fire bricks very nicely. The BGE 14" pizza stone is as tough as the Egg. The posted technique works, however, I now prefer stacking two pizza stones on each other. This provides a more even (top) stone temp allowing multiple pizzas to be cooked with no adjustment to temp or cooking time. Using the plate setter with a pizza stone provides the same result.[p]Ask here for more help and info as their are some great pizza and breads cooks here. Feel free to email me.[p]Spin

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    flajoker,
    I Egged some fabulous pizza last weekend. Since I had Picky Eaters to serve, I had various toppings on hand along with fresh mozzarella, freshly grated romano cheese, and shredded fresh basil leaves. My setup was three thin firebricks with a BGE pizza stone on top. Temp stabilized about 500, which reduced somewhat when the pizza was added. I used thin crust on four 12-inch pizza pans. I lightly oiled the pans first. This is a departure from my usual cornmeal direct on the stone, and I did this because my husband loves a very thin and crispy crust. Each took only about 12 minutes; I cooked them assembly line fashion. They were absolutely perfect. Light brown crusts, beautifully melted cheese. I can't even think about it now; my stomach's growling![p]Spin's expertise got me hooked on making Egg pizza; the variations came along in time.[p]Have fun! I can't say you'll NEVER order out again, but I can say that you'll never get a better pizza than right off the Egg.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl