Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need new salmon recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a new recipe for smoking salmon. Interested in a process of soaking the fish overnight and a low cool smoke for several hours. Any ideas or suggestions will be gladly received.
Murray

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Murray W,
    My wife and I like to marinate the salmon overnight in terriaki marinade. Then grill it indirect with Alder chips (I use the plate sitter with the legs up, a drip pan and the grate on top of the legs)at about 200* (for about 3 hrs.)until down. Yummy Yummy, now I'm hungry!
    B D

• Unknown
    Options
    Big Daddy, terriaki is not my favorite flavor...(too long in Japan!) but I thank you for the idea. How do you think brine and winde would do for an overnight soak???
    thanx
    MW

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Murray W,
    Don't have a clue! But I might try it.
    B D

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Murray W,[p]try http://www.3men.com/ for their ideas on low-temp smoked salmon. [p]You might also try Alan Zenreich's website (on a rival network). Songdog's website also had info on smoking salmon.[p]If you really want to get intense about it, prep your salmon the way those websites tell you (brining, drying, crusting) then take all your lump out of your BGE. Stick a stand alone, circular, electric hot plate in the bottom and plug it in. In a few hours the hot plate will run the egg to 120-150*, rock steady for hours on end. Put some wood chips in a pan on a grill beneath your fish and in 8 to 15 hours you should have deli-quality salmon. I tried this once. It works, but I don't think it was worth the trouble. Now I just grill salmon at 350* and serve it within 45 minutes to an hour. [p]Good luck.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Options
    Salmon on the BGE is the favorite meal of my 12 year old daughter and my wife. My 6 year old son either loves it or hates it, hot and cold. I enjoy it but prefer a filet.[p]I marinade salmon filets for 2-3 hours in soy sauce and ginger (just use the powder). Grill it at 300 (directly) skin down until it is almost cooked through, the aujus/oil from the fish is barely ponding on top, shut down the EGG, flip it and cook it for another minute. Delicious.
  • MW
    MW Posts: 61
    Options
    Gordy, thanx for all these great suggestions.... mmmm.. now let me see...
    MW